Category Archives: Winokur GA

Neil G. Wade General Store, 1915, Winokur

Carolyn DeLoach writes: The building identified aa an abandoned bank in Winokur was in fact the Neil G. Wade general store. Of course, nowadays folks think it is either an old jail or abandoned bank because of the bars in the windows. N.G. Wade operated an extensive naval stores/lumber mill next to the depot in the early 1900s. The bars were to keep hobos from helping themselves to the store inventory, especially during the Depression.

6 Comments

Filed under --CHARLTON COUNTY GA--, Winokur GA