Farmers and Merchants Bank, Sylvania

 

Sylvania GA Screven County Farmers and Mercants Bank Building Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2014

Positioned across from the location of the old courthouse, this imposing structure can be seen from most anywhere in downtown Sylvania.

Sylvania GA Screven County Farmers and Mercants Bank Building Seen from Old Courthouse Park Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2014

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under --SCREVEN COUNTY GA--, Sylvania GA

Thrift Store Window Display, Sylvania

Sylvania GA Screven County Downtown Thrift Store WIndow Display Mannequin Wedding Dress Pink Cowboy Hat Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2014

Leave a comment

Filed under --SCREVEN COUNTY GA--, Sylvania GA

Napoleon Cannon, Sylvania

Sylvania GA Screven County Town Square Civil War Napoleon Cannon 1862 Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2014

This is one of a pair of Civil War-era Napoleon cannons occupying a position of honor in Sylvania’s Old Courthouse Park. They were given to the city in 1913 and are in better shape than most I’ve seen.

Leave a comment

Filed under --SCREVEN COUNTY GA--, Sylvania GA

Sylvia Theatre & Granitoid Office Building, Sylvania

Sylvania GA Screven County Sylvia Theatre and Granitoid Office Building Town Square Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2014

Leave a comment

Filed under --SCREVEN COUNTY GA--, Sylvania GA

Ogeechee Street & Water Tower, Sylvania

Sylvania GA Screven County Water Tower Restored Downtown Buildings Plaza Park Thunder Clouds Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2014

Leave a comment

Filed under --SCREVEN COUNTY GA--, Sylvania GA

Courthouse Annex, 1897, Sylvania

Sylvania GA Screven County Courthouse Annex Building Chamber of Commerce Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2014

Built to protect valuable records from fire, the courthouse for which this building served as an annex and clerk’s office is sadly gone. The iconic courthouse which served Sylvania from 1897 until 1963 was ordered demolished by the county and replaced with a boring modern courthouse on the edge of town. It was a significant loss. Today, the annex is home to the Screven County Development Authority and the Chamber of Commerce. Stop by if you’re in town.

1 Comment

Filed under --SCREVEN COUNTY GA--, Sylvania GA

First Baptist Church, 1918, Sylvania

First Baptist Church 1917 Sylvania GA Screven County Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2014

The congregation dates to 1847. The present structure, dating to 1918, was renovated in 1972 by Augusta civil engineer Harry Peihl Vankerhoff.  It’s one of the most noticeable landmarks in Sylvania.

3 Comments

Filed under --SCREVEN COUNTY GA--, Sylvania GA