Tag Archives: Architecture of Bruce & Morgan

Brooks County Courthouse, 1864, Quitman

brooks-county-courthouse-quitman-ga-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2017

Though the Brooks County Courthouse is generally noted as having been built in 1859, that date is misleading. Construction began that year, but due to the Civil War and the death of contractor Charles H. Remington in 1862, the courthouse was not completed until 1864. It was extensively remodeled in 1892 by the firm of Bruce & Morgan, in the Italian Renaissance Revival style.

National Register of Historic Places

Advertisements

2 Comments

Filed under --BROOKS COUNTY GA--, Quitman GA