Tag Archives: Architecture of Charles Edward Choate

Wilkins House, Circa 1900, Waynesboro

This home is as difficult to photograph as its architectural style is to define. It has Queen Anne influences but is much more Eclectic than Victorian. Built for William Archibald Wilkins, who was a Confederate major and  mayor of Waynesboro, it hosted President William Howard Taft during a visit to the city in 1910.

Waynesboro Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Advertisements

1 Comment

Filed under --BURKE COUNTY GA--, Waynesboro GA

Tennille Baptist Church, 1903, Washington County

Organized on 24 March 1876, Tenille Baptist began construction on this church in 1900; it was completed in 1903. It’s significant as the only religious structure designed by Charles E. Choate and is a most impressive example of Gothic design.

National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --WASHINGTON COUNTY GA--, Tennille GA

Thomas W. Smith House, 1900, Tennille

This homes was built for Tennille merchant and Mayor, Thomas W. Smith, whose family lived here for over 85 years.  The National Register nomination form notes: …the Thomas W. Smith House typifies Choate’s residential architectural designs during the early years of his architectural career. Charles E. Choate (1865-1929) was a minister-architect prolific in Georgia and adjacent states at the turn of the last century; the greatest concentration of his work can be found in the Tennille-Sandersville area.

National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --WASHINGTON COUNTY GA--, Tennille GA

Bashinski-Claxton House, Circa 1907, Dubliln

Isadore “Izzie” Bashinski (1875-1934), who was a college roommate of Carl Vinson, moved to Dublin in 1906 and formed the Yellow Pine Lumber Company and the Oconee Navigation Company. By the end of the year he married Helen McCall, a native of Buena Vista and cousin of future Georgia governor Eugene Talmadge. Soon thereafter, they hired architect Charles Choate to build this home, one of the most unique in Dublin. It was the scene of many important social functions, including a gala with Governor Joseph M. Brown in 1908. Bashinski served on the staff of Governor Brown. Cotton was king in the South during this time, of course, and Bashinski and his brother Sam made a fortune as cotton factors, or brokers. Their Dixie Cotton Company was the largest in the south, with 25 branches throughout Georgia. Bashinski was an early proponent of business diversity and over the years formed the Consolidated Phosphate Company, Dublin Peanut Company, Citizens Loan & Guaranty Company, and the Oconee Guano Company. He was also a partner in the 12th Disctrict Fair Association, was a member of the first board of the Dublin Chamber of Commerce, the school board, and the city council. He also served as mayor during World War I. The Great Depression hit Bashinski’s multitude of businesses hard and in 1932 the family lost the home. It was purchased by Dr. E. B. Claxton, whose family remained in it for many years. Scott Thompson covers much more ground at his excellent local history page, Pieces of Our Past.

Stubbs Park-Stonewall Street Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

2 Comments

Filed under --LAURENS COUNTY GA--, Dublin GA

Eclectic Victorian House, Sandersville

Sandersville GA Washington County Colonial Revival Eclectic House Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2015

It’s my guess that this house is the work of Charles E. Choate; it has a very close relative in the nearby Brantley-Haygood House. It likely dates to the late 1890s.

North Harris Street Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

3 Comments

Filed under --WASHINGTON COUNTY GA--, Sandersville GA

Brantley-Haygood House, 1850s & 1899, Sandersville

Sandersville GA Historic Harris Street Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2015

From The Rambler, May-June 2001, Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation: Dr. Solomon Brantley, a physician who served in the Civil War from 1861-1865, and his wife Mary originally built the plantation plain house with little ornamentation. Architect Charles E. Choate added the Victorian detailing in 1899, when he was hired by a later owner to remodel the house. Story has it that Mary Brantley was among the women in Sandersville who begged Sherman not to burn down the town, and he rescinded his order to burn the houses. The house was passed down through several owners before the Haygood family bought it in 1953. The house is now being used as apartments…The house was originally built on piers, which were later filled in with concrete block.

North Harris Street Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

 

2 Comments

Filed under --WASHINGTON COUNTY GA--, Sandersville GA

Paris-Elkins House, 1900, Sandersville

Sandersville GA Paris Elkins House Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2015

North Harris Street Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Charles Edward Choate, the architect responsible for the Holt Brothers Banking Company building on the courthouse square, also designed this home. Thanks to Caroline Ross for the history.

3 Comments

Filed under --WASHINGTON COUNTY GA--, Sandersville GA