Tag Archives: Architecture of J. W. Golucke

Old Dodge County Jail, 1897, Eastman

Old Dodge County Jail Eastman GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2015

Designed by the great courthouse architect J. W. Golucke (Golucke & Stewart), Dodge County’s historic jail was built by the Pauly Jail Building Company, which is still in business today. It originally featured a three-story tower in the center, but that was removed during a roof renovation. It closed in 1973 upon the completion of a more modern facility.

Old Dodge County Jail Eastman GA Window Detail Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2015

The detailed metal window arch inserts are quite decorative for a jail. As evident in this photograph, serious structural damage is an immediate threat.

Old Dodge County Jail Eastman GA Golucke Stewart Pauly Jail Building Company Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2015

A hanging room with trap door and lever are still intact, but leaks and continued neglect will need to addressed soon to stabilize the structure. Hopefully, Dodge County will utilize the jail in the future for a cultural resource center or something of that nature. Since its inclusion on the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation’s 2010 Places in Peril listing, little, if any, restoration has been done.

National Register of Historic Places

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under --DODGE COUNTY GA--, Eastman GA

Tattnall County Courthouse, 1902, Reidsville

tattnall-county-courthouse-reidsville-ga-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2013

Designed by J. W. Golucke, Georgia’s leading courthouse architect, this structure was greatly modified in 1961. It originally featured a clock tower and mansard roof. It remains one of the more unique courthouses in the state.

National Register of Historic Places

12 Comments

Filed under --TATTNALL COUNTY GA--, Reidsville GA

Johnson County Courthouse, 1895, Wrightsville

johnson-county-courthouse-wrightsville-ga-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2012

Wrightsville is a wonderful little town which has a real interest in preserving its history. The courthouse was restored by the WPA between 1938-40, and again by the county in 1996.  Luckily, attempts to demolish it in the 1970s were met with great protest by the people of Wrightsville and Johnson County. An interesting aside: it was the first of nearly 25 courthouses built by Georgia’s most prolific courthouse architect, J. W. Golucke.

National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --JOHNSON COUNTY GA--, Wrightsville GA

Schley County Courthouse, 1899, Ellaville

schley county courthouse ellaville ga photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2010

This Romanesque Revival landmark was designed by Golucke & Stewart.

National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --SCHLEY COUNTY GA--, Ellaville GA

Baker County Courthouse, 1900, Newton

baker county courthouse newton ga photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2010

Designed by J. W. Golucke in 1900, this courthouse survived the Flint River floods of 1924, 1929, and the historic flood of 1994, during which waters nearly reached the second floor. Golucke was Georgia’s most prolific courthouse architect, but ironically died in prison in Newton in 1907, having been convicted of misappropriating funds in the construction of the very courthouse seen here. Though no longer used as a courthouse, it is now utilized by a variety of public service entities.

National Register of Historic Places

3 Comments

Filed under --BAKER COUNTY GA--, Newton GA