Tag Archives: Architecture of John Wind

Bentley House, Circa 1860, Quitman

Owner Tim Reisenwitz writes: Thank you for posting The Bentley House (c. 1860). I am currently restoring this antebellum and had an architectural historian visit and confirm the time of construction and also that the architect was most likely John Wind (1819-1863). John Wind was most famous for spectacular plantation homes but also designed town cottages such as this one, particularly with the U-shaped configuration. He also designed many area public buildings. 

Quitman Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

 

6 Comments

Filed under --BROOKS COUNTY GA--, Quitman GA

Wright House, 1854, Thomasville

This fine antebellum home was designed and built by John Wind in the Fletcherville neighborhood for Arthur P. Wright, a banker a city alderman who served as Thomasville mayor at the outset of the Civil War. It was used for early meetings of the St. Thomas Episcopal Church, as well.

The hand-carved square columns are perhaps the most significant decorative elements of the house, which is listed individually and as a contributing property to the Fletcherville Historic District in the National Register of Historic Places.

National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --THOMAS COUNTY GA--, Thomasville GA

Augustin Hansell House, 1853, Thomasville

This is the oldest house in the neighborhood and was designed by the noted architect/builder John Wind for Judge Augustin Hansell. Hansell Street was named for Judge Hansell.

Tockwotton-Love Place Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

2 Comments

Filed under --THOMAS COUNTY GA--, Thomasville GA

Brooks County Courthouse, 1864, Quitman

brooks-county-courthouse-quitman-ga-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2017

Though the Brooks County Courthouse is generally noted as having been built in 1859, that date is misleading. Construction began that year, but due to the Civil War and the death of contractor Charles H. Remington in 1862, the courthouse was not completed until 1864. It was extensively remodeled in 1892 by the firm of Bruce & Morgan, in the Italian Renaissance Revival style.

National Register of Historic Places

2 Comments

Filed under --BROOKS COUNTY GA--, Quitman GA