Tag Archives: Architecture of L. F. Goodrich

Burke County Courthouse, 1857, Waynesboro

Burke County Courthouse Waynesboro GA Antebellum Institutional Architecture Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2014

Burke County’s historic antebellum courthouse is actually the fourth to serve the county. A log cabin built in 1773 first served this purpose, followed by a wooden courthouse built in 1777. After it burned in 1825, temporary facilities were used until a third courthouse was built in 1856. It burned soon thereafter and was replaced by this structure in 1857. Expansions in 1899 by architect L. F. Goodrich gave the courthouse its present appearance. To accommodate population growth, an annex (pictured below)  was completed by the Public Works Administration in 1940.

Burke County Courthouses Waynesboro GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2014

Waynesboro Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

2 Comments

Filed under --BURKE COUNTY GA--, Waynesboro GA

Jenkins County Courthouse, 1910, Millen

Jenkins County Courthouse Clock Tower Statue Millen GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2013

L. F. Goodrich designed this courthouse.

Jenkins County Courthouse Millen GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2013

National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --JENKINS COUNTY GA--, Millen GA