Tag Archives: Architecture of T. F. Lockwood Jr.

Carnegie Library, 1907, Montezuma

montezuma ga carnegie library photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2016

Montezuma Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

 

Advertisements

1 Comment

Filed under --MACON COUNTY GA--, Montezuma GA

Calhoun County Courthouse, 1930, Morgan

Calhoun County Courthouse Morgan GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2016

Morgan came into being as a compromise. Soon after Calhoun County’s creation in 1854, a debate arose as to whether the town of Whitney or Concord would become the county seat. The compromise was to lay out a town between the two for the purpose of conducting the business of the courts. There’s also a debate as to the origin of the name. Some contend it honors Hiram Morgan, one of the first commissioners; while others feel it was Revolutionary War general Daniel Morgan. It was incorporated in 1856. An attempt to move the county seat from Morgan to Arlington passed a public vote in 1923 and Arlington served that capacity until 1929, when another vote removed the seat to Morgan, at which time plans to build this courthouse were made.

Calhoun County Courthouse Morgan GA Colonial Revival Photogrpah Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2016

The present Calhoun County courthouse was designed in the Colonial Revival style by T. F. Lockwood, Jr., son of one of the busiest architects in Georgia in the early 20th century and an accomplished architect himself. He designed several courthouses, numerous churches and landmark private residences still standing today.

2 Comments

Filed under --CALHOUN COUNTY GA--, Morgan GA

Stewart County Courthouse, 1923, Lumpkin

stewart-county-courthouse-lumpkin-ga-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2011

T. F. Lockwood, Jr.’s design for the fifth courthouse to be built in Stewart County, is one of his nicest designs, in my opinion.

stewart-county-courthouse-details-lumpkin-ga-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2011

The cornucopias on the pediment and the sunflower medallions on the frieze are artistic decorations likely unique among Georgia courthouses.

stewart-county-courthouse-restoration-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2011

National Register of Historic Places

8 Comments

Filed under --STEWART COUNTY GA--, Lumpkin GA

Quitman County Courthouse, 1939, Georgetown

The present courthouse replaced a two-story wooden structure which burned in 1920. Due to economic hard times, the county rented warehouse space for use as a temporary courthouse until this was built with federal relief funds during the Great Depression.

National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --QUITMAN COUNTY GA--, Georgetown GA

M. E. Church, South, 1917, Montezuma

montezuma ga historic methodist church photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2010

The first service held by the Methodists after the incorporation of Montezuma in 1854 was held under a brush arbor near the Felton Cemetery.  Soon a one-room wood building was constructed and used for both a school and a church.  The Montezuma M. E. Church was formally organized on 17 February 1867. A new wooden church was built on Dooly Street in 1887. In 1916, Reverend Guyton Fisher, oversaw the construction of the present church. The first service in this new sanctuary was held on 25 March 1917, with Rev. Robert Kerr as pastor. T. Firth Lockwood, Jr., of Columbus, was the architect. It’s known as Montezuma United Methodist Church today.

Montezuma Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --MACON COUNTY GA--, Montezuma GA