Tag Archives: Architecture of William H. Parkins

Pulaski-Barnes House, 1883, Cuthbert

Frank Pulaski was a Jewish merchant who came South to escape the racism of the Know-Nothing party. He commissioned William H. Parkins, Georgia’s most important architect of the post-Civil War period, to build this elaborate Gothic Revival cottage. Parkins was also the designer of the Randolph County Courthouse and Old Main at Andrew College.

Cuthbert Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

10 Comments

Filed under --RANDOLPH COUNTY GA--, Cuthbert GA

Randolph County Courthouse, 1885, Cuthbert

historic randolph county courthouse cuthbert ga photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2012

This Queen Anne-style courthouse was designed by the Altanta architectural firm of Kimball, Wheeler & Parkins. Since being designated as a “Place in Peril” by the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation, it has undergone extensive restoration.

Cuthbert Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --RANDOLPH COUNTY GA--, Cuthbert GA

Old Main (Andrew College), 1892, Cuthbert

old main andrew college cuthbert ga photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2010

Andrew College, originally known as Andrew Female College, was the second college in America to grant degrees to women, beginning in 1854. It operated as a four-year women’s college until 1917, when it became a two-year school. In 1956, it became coeducational.  During the Civil War, classes ceased and the school was used as a Confederate hospital. In 1892, Andrew’s structures burned to the ground but thanks to fundraising by the community, Old Main was built that same year.

Cuthbert Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

2 Comments

Filed under --RANDOLPH COUNTY GA--, Cuthbert GA

Terrell County Courthouse, 1892, Dawson

Built in 1892 by William H. Parkins, the Terrell County Courthouse is considered a significant example of High Victorian public architecture in Georgia. It’s also one of the tallest rural courthouses in Georgia. Parkins was the most important practicing architect in Georgia from just after the Civil War until his retirement in the late 1880s.

National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --TERRELL COUNTY GA--, Dawson GA