Tag Archives: Baconton GA
George Washington Jackson came with his family to Dougherty County from Wilkinson County as a young boy. At the age of ten he moved with his widowed mother and brother and sister to the Mount Enon community, several miles from Baconton. He served as a lieutenant in the Confederate army and later as a county commissioner. He had farming operations all over what is today northern Mitchell County; he built this home in 1898 to replace a log farmhouse at this location. He and his wife, Eulelia Peacock Jackson, had nine children. Numerous other families lived here throughout the 20th century.
The city of Baconton saving such an important historic home and re-purposing it as their city hall is a great example of thinking outside the box. Perhaps it will serve as inspiration for other communities to pursue non-traditional avenues of preservation.
National Register of Historic Places
The South Georgia Conference of the United Methodist Church notes: Organized at Raiford, now Lester, in 1870, this church was earlier known as Shiloh. Its first wooden building, lighted by beef tallow candles placed on wooden strips around the walls, also served as a school. In 1875, the site was moved and a large log church and school building was built. “Preacher Russell” was the first pastor. In 1882, the site was moved four miles west of the 1875 site and a wooden building was erected and furnished with long benches with solid backs and lighted by oil chandeliers. In 1902, the present gothic structure was erected. A fellowship hall was added in 1967.
This church is nearly identical in design to the Lumber City United Methodist Church.
Walton Street-Church Street Historic District, National Register of Historic Places