Sweetwater is located adjacent to Refuge Primitive Baptist Church. The South Georgia Conference of the United Methodist Church notes: Less than a mile from the present site, this church was organized in 1888, in a log church with 10-12 members. It takes its name from the nearby Sweet Water Creek which runs just north of the church. This is the original church, brick-veneered with new windows and air conditioning added in 1979-80. The original hard carved altar rail and pulpit are still used. It had door on each end and both sides with Rev. H. T. Ethridge as the first pastor.
Tag Archives: Churches of Atkinson County GA
This church was built by Martin S. Corbitt, who was born nearby on 12 May 1840. He donated two acres of land for this purpose. The church is located on the historic Kinnaird Trail, a Native American trading route. He married Leonora Wealtha Pafford (born 26 August 1847) on 26 November 1867. Two of their sons, William Manning Corbitt and Martin Rayburn Corbitt, built the pews and benches still intact today. Upon its completion, the structure also served as a school with the older Corbitt children serving as teachers. Martin Corbitt lived at Salem all but the last 11 years of his life; he moved into the first house in Pearson and became its first mayor.
Martin S. & Leonora Wealtha Corbitt had 11 children: Catherine Imogene, Mary Ann Miranda, Newton Rowan, William Manning, Henry Madison, Martin Rayburn, Frances Lenora, Martha Ann Elizabeth, Wealtha Alvina, Rebecca Virginia, and Levia Jane.
Leonora died on 5 May 1896 and was the first person buried in the cemetery. On 1 May 1899 Martin married Minnie Frazier Faircloth (9 May 1865-September 1955) and they had three children: Duvon Clough, Frazier Solon, and and William J.
Martin S. Corbitt died on 1 July 1913 and was buried beside his first wife.
The descendants “come back home” the last Sunday in September each year to celebrate their ancestors.
This is among the oldest congregations in Atkinson County, dating to 1858. Its large cemetery is the final resting place of numerous Wiregrass Georgia pioneers. Some of the earliest members were Reverend John G. Taylor, Kindred Griffis, John P. Wall, Charlie Brooker, John Brooker, John Mixon, Dougal Gillis, David Sutton, and Elias Wright.