Tag Archives: Churches of Berrien County GA

Nashville United Methodist Church, 1900

historic methodist church nashville ga photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2016

Nashville United Methodist Church is one of Berrien County’s most historic congregations. Founded in 1858, the church likely first met in members’ homes. There isn’t much information about the first church building, but in 1871, Benjamin Sorsby sold the congregation land for a church and parsonage for $13. The facility was located across the street from the present education building. In 1898, it was destroyed when a tree fell on it and construction on the present sanctuary began. It was completed in 1900.

Leave a comment

Filed under --BERRIEN COUNTY GA--, Nashville GA

Enigma United Methodist Church, Berrien County

Enigma GA Berrien County Methodist Church Picture Image Photograph Copyright © Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2013

The first Methodist church in Enigma, a simple frame structure, was built near this site in 1886. In 1887, a more formal church was built. During the ministry of N. H. Olmstead, the structure was destroyed during a storm and the present example rebuilt with its timbers.

Leave a comment

Filed under --BERRIEN COUNTY GA--, Enigma GA

First Baptist Church, Enigma

Enigma GA Berrien County Baptist Church Picture Image Photograph Copyright © Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2013

Leave a comment

Filed under --BERRIEN COUNTY GA--, Enigma GA

St. Ann Catholic Church, 1942, Alapaha

historic-st-ann-catholic-church-alapaha-ga-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2012

Leave a comment

Filed under --BERRIEN COUNTY GA--, Alapaha GA

St. Bridget’s Catholic Church, 1902, Alapaha

alapaha-ga-st bridgets catholic church photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2011

From the history, One Faith, One Family: Diocese of Savannah: 1850-2000: “A Catholic community established a church on the James C. Murray farm 2.6 miles from Alapaha in about 1840…The Catholic community was then known as Saint Patrick’s and was commonly called “Murray Church.” [As the need grew for a more substantial church than the log cabin located on the Murray farm] land was purchased near Alapaha Station in 1901 for the token sum of $25 from John J. Paulk…the new church, Saint Bridget’s, was completed in 1902…[by 1942, this structure was vacated and the present St. Ann’s Catholic Church built]

This is now home to Greater Macedonia C. M. E. Church, and is undergoing renovation.

6 Comments

Filed under --BERRIEN COUNTY GA--, Alapaha GA

St. Stephen’s African Baptist Church, Enigma

enigma ga historic st stephens african baptist church photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2009

Leave a comment

Filed under --BERRIEN COUNTY GA--, Enigma GA

Old Mt. Paron Primitive Baptist Church, Berrien County

old mt paron primitive baptist church berrien county ga photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2009

Like many old churches, houses, and other buildings in South Georgia, Old Mt. Paron is now utilized for storage. It was moved a few hundred yards from its original location in the 1960s to make way for a more modern structure.

old-mt-paron-paran-church-berrien-county-ga-courtesy-berrien-historical-foundation

This view shows the church in the 1960s. The photo is from the Berrien Historical Foundation. Please visit their wonderful collection and get ready for a trip back in time. I’m so impressed with the site this preservation group has created and maintains. It really is one of the best of its kind in South Georgia.

http://www.berriencountyga.com/

1 Comment

Filed under --BERRIEN COUNTY GA--

Alapaha United Methodist Church

historic alapaha united methodist church berrien county ga photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2008

5 Comments

Filed under --BERRIEN COUNTY GA--, Alapaha GA