This congregation was organized in 1877 by Reverend James M. Cross and Francis A. Jones.
Tag Archives: Churches of Burke County GA
Bethesda was organized in 1827 but no records of its early history survive. A wood frame church was built in 1856 but was destroyed by fire in 1924. The congregation met in the local schoolhouse until 1935. Since the school had been donated to the church, the decision was made to raze it in 1935 and salvage its timbers to build the present structure.
The church is connected by a breezeway to a smaller, nearly identical social hall.
Dating to the colonial era, the First Presbyterian Church of Waynesboro was founded in 1760 with the establishment of a church on Briar Creek (Episcopalian) and another on Walnut Branch. The present church grew out of the union of these two churches in 1812. The present structure, the third to serve the congregation on this site, was dedicated in 1884.
Waynesboro Historic District, National Register of Historic Places