Tag Archives: Churches of Emanuel County GA

Springfield Missionary Baptist Church, 1915, Oak Park

This congregation was established in 1906.

Leave a comment

Filed under --EMANUEL COUNTY GA--, Oak Park GA

Mt. Gilead Missionary Baptist Church, Canoochee

historic-mt-gilead-missionary-baptist-church-canoochee-ga-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2016

This congregation was established as Mt. Gilead Baptist in 1891. A Masonic cornerstone indicates restoration or expansion was done in 1975.

Leave a comment

Filed under --EMANUEL COUNTY GA--, Canoochee GA

Canoochee Missionary Baptist Church, Emanuel County

historic-canoochee-missionary-baptist-church-emanuel-county-ga-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2016

This is one of two beautiful Missionary Baptist churches in Canoochee. It was established in 1896.

Leave a comment

Filed under --EMANUEL COUNTY GA--, Canoochee GA

Baptist Rest Primitive Baptist Church, 1906, Twin City

Twin City GA Baptist Rest Primitive Baptist Church Double-Steeple with One Steeple Removed Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2014

I originally thought this church was built for another congregation and might have had another steeple, but Eileen Dudley notes that it was built this way. Eileen is the program manager for Historic Twin City and is largely responsible for getting National Register status for the city.

Twin City Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

4 Comments

Filed under --EMANUEL COUNTY GA--, Twin City GA

Twin City United Methodist Church, 1927, Emanuel County

Twin City GA United Methodist Church Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2014

Twin City Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

4 Comments

Filed under --EMANUEL COUNTY GA--, Twin City GA

Church of Christ, Twin City

Twin City GA Unidentified School or Chapel Red Painted Brick Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2014

This structure is adjacent to the Emanuel County Institute campus. It’s now the nursery for the First Baptist Church. Thanks to Eileen Dudley for the identification.

Twin City GA Unidentified School or Chapel Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2014

Twin City Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

2 Comments

Filed under --EMANUEL COUNTY GA--, Twin City GA

St. James A.M.E. Zion Church, 1908, Twin City

Twin City GA St James AME Church Vernacular Architecture Original Steeple Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2014

This style is increasingly endangered. It was once the common style of most African-American congregations in the rural South.

Many of the details of St. James A. M. E. Zion Church’s history are lost to time, but the congregation’s beginnings were in the 1890s. Sam Mitchell, who was married to Sudie Rountree Mitchell, was one of its founders, and Will Mincey was its earliest pastor. The church structure itself was built in 1908 under the leadership of Reverend J. H. Williams. The building was erected by Reverend R. Lee with the help of a group of trustees. –from The Swainsboro Forest-Blade, 3 December 2014.

1 Comment

Filed under --EMANUEL COUNTY GA--, Twin City GA