Tag Archives: Churches of Lowndes County GA

Naylor United Methodist Church, Lowndes County

historic naylor united methodist church photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2011

This congregation was established in 1870. Services were first held in a log cabin which also served as a schoolhouse. Riley R. Fender, a Confederate veteran, was the first member. Private Fender was blinded during the war but served the congregation as Sunday School superintendent for 40 years. Around 1872, the first church building was constructed on land donated by Asa Rooks.  The present structure was built in the early 1900s.

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under --LOWNDES COUNTY GA--, Naylor GA

The Chapel of the Garden, 1898, Valdosta

valdosta ga chapel of the garden the crescent photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2010

Originally built as the wash house for the Crescent, this structure was refashioned in 1979 to serve its present purpose.

National Register of Historic Places

4 Comments

Filed under --LOWNDES COUNTY GA--, Valdosta GA

Lake Park Christian Church, Circa 1878

historic lake park christian church lowndes county ga photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2010

Lake Park’s beautiful Christian Church dates to the earliest days of the settlement. It was founded in 1878 and church, which was originally located at the site of the old Lake Park Cemetery, was moved by mules in 1922 to its present site.

Leave a comment

Filed under --LOWNDES COUNTY GA--, Lake Park GA

First United Methodist Church, 1904, Valdosta

valdosta ga first united methodist church photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2009Valdosta Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

3 Comments

Filed under --LOWNDES COUNTY GA--, Valdosta GA