The South Georgia Conference of the United Methodist Church notes: Organized at Raiford, now Lester, in 1870, this church was earlier known as Shiloh. Its first wooden building, lighted by beef tallow candles placed on wooden strips around the walls, also served as a school. In 1875, the site was moved and a large log church and school building was built. “Preacher Russell” was the first pastor. In 1882, the site was moved four miles west of the 1875 site and a wooden building was erected and furnished with long benches with solid backs and lighted by oil chandeliers. In 1902, the present gothic structure was erected. A fellowship hall was added in 1967.
This church is nearly identical in design to the Lumber City United Methodist Church.
Walton Street-Church Street Historic District, National Register of Historic Places