Tag Archives: Churches of Quitman County GA

Union United Methodist Church, 1867, Quitman County

Union Church was organized as non-denominational house of worship in 1837, about a mile from the present location. A second structure was built across the road from the present location and used until 1867 when this church was built. The exact date the church became affiliated with the Methodists is unknown.

Leave a comment

Filed under --QUITMAN COUNTY GA--

Georgetown United Methodist Church, 1902

historic-georgetown-united-methodist-church-quitman-county-ga-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2011

During Georgetown’s early years, Methodists and Baptists shared the Community Church.  This structure was built for the Methodist congregants by Albert N. Surles between 1901-1902 and has served them ever since.

1 Comment

Filed under --QUITMAN COUNTY GA--, Georgetown GA