This historic congregation dates to 1827.
Tag Archives: Churches of Richmond County GA
Founded around 1784 by Augustans retreating from rampant malaria in the city, Bath got its name from the mineral springs found nearby. John Trowbridge, among the most active members of the congregation in the early 19th century built most of the homes around Bath, as well as the present sanctuary. A small but historic cemetery behind the churchyard is the final resting place of many Richmond County pioneers.
National Register of Historic Places
Among Emily Tubman’s many gifts to Augusta, perhaps the most visible is the First Christian Church. Though the original sanctuary burned in 1870, components were retained in this incarnation, not completed until 1924. The First Christian Church is affiliated with the Disciples of Christ.
Augusta Downtown Historic District, National Register of Historic Places