Tag Archives: Churches of Telfair County GA
The Sharon congregation dates back to some of the earliest pioneers of Telfair County, organized in 1837 by the Reverend James W. Williamson. The present building, sided with granitoid, was built during the height of the Great Depression, in 1936, a testament to the devotion and resolve of this historic congregation. Members of the building committee were: Graham Clark, Maggie Clark, Dr. J. K. Fussell, Dr. T. D. Fussell, J. B. Jeffries, W. H. Harrell, Bill Maloy, Dr. C. J. Maloy, D. H. Maloy, Dr. D. W. F. Maloy, J. C. Maloy, Dr. J. W. Maloy, Sam Nicholson, W. S. Tedders, Colonel J. K. Whaley, W. A. Willcox, and J. G. Williamson. W. L. Maloy was Clerk and Deacons were: A. E. Cook, Will Cheek, Dr. J. K. Fussell, T. F. Fussell, J. H. Maloy and W. S. Tedders.
Bethel was organized in 1881. It was not originally known as Bethel and was located in a different location. Services were first held in a one-room schoolhouse but the congregation moved to this location, built a more permanent church and adopted the name Bethel. A tornado destroyed the church in April 1957 and the present structure was constructed soon thereafter.
This historic church is located a few miles from Lumber City. The marker notes that the church is named for Reverend Charles I. Shelton (1787 – 1871) who was instrumental in organizing the congregation. He is buried at Blockhouse Cemetery. The first building was of crude log construction. It was located two miles north of the Ocmulgee River and was replaced with another log structure sometime before the Civil War. The present structure was built on the site of the second church in 1902.
From the South Georgia Conference of the United Methodist Church: The date for the beginning of this church is unknown, but it is at present in its fourth building. The first building was on the Boyd Plantation, the second, a church building of sawed lumber, and the third, built in 1868, was a white painted one. Fire destroyed one of the buildings, but the pulpit furniture was saved and is at use in the present building which was completed in 1913-1914. It has 20 stained glass windows…