Tag Archives: Coheelee Creek

Coheelee Creek Covered Bridge, 1891, Early County

coheelee creek bridge hilton ga photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2011

Built by J. W. Baughman in 1891, this 121-foot span over McDonald’s Ford was restored by John Cherry in 1984. It is the southernmost covered bridge in the United States. Baughman’s grandson, J. W. Baughman III, writes that he was born in 1861 in Lexington, South Carolina, and died in 1923 in Dothan. Iron gates have now been placed at both ends of the bridge due to graffiti and other damage to the bridge.

coheelee creek covered bridge early county ga photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2011

National Register of Historic Places

11 Comments

Filed under --EARLY COUNTY GA--, Hilton GA