Tag Archives: –DOUGHERTY COUNTY GA–

Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Trestle, 1929, Albany

albany-ga-flilnt-river-acl-trestle-bridge-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2012

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under --DOUGHERTY COUNTY GA--, Albany GA

Albany Housefurnishing Company, 1922

One of the few historic storefronts that retains its original appearance in downtown Albany, this structure was built by local architect J. T. Murphey for Benjamin Bourbon Ivey specifically as a furniture store. It’s now known as the Nelson Tift Building, named for the founder of Albany.

National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --DOUGHERTY COUNTY GA--, Albany GA

Oglethorpe Lounge, 1954, Albany

oglethorpe-lounge-albany-ga-carling-black-label-beer-sign-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2012

According to their Facebook page, the Oglethorpe Lounge has been open since 1954. In an era when most dive bars are closing, the Oglethorpe is alive and well. Their Carling Black Label sign is a landmark in its own right.

4 Comments

Filed under --DOUGHERTY COUNTY GA--, Albany GA

Pretoria, Georgia

pretoria ga country store photograph copyright brian brown vanishiing south georgia usa 2010

5 Comments

Filed under --DOUGHERTY COUNTY GA--, Pretoria GA

First Presbyterian Church, 1918, Albany

albany ga historic first presbyterian church photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2009

The Presbyterian Church in Albany was organized on 25 February 25 1849. The original sanctuary was built in 1852. The bell used to commemorate that first service is still in use today.  The present church was begun in 1917 and the first service was held here on 10 November 1918. Visit the website of Albany First Presbyterian for a much more detailed history.

Leave a comment

Filed under --DOUGHERTY COUNTY GA--, Albany GA

Ray Charles Plaza, 2007, Albany

albany ga ray charles plaza photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2009

Albany’s favorite son, Ray Charles (Robinson) was born here in 1930 and went on to become one of the most famous musicians of all time. Though he had numerous hits and a storied career, his rendition of Hoagy Carmichael’s Georgia on My Mind remains, arguably, the most recognized and beloved of all state songs, and the only one to top the Billboard charts. The focal point is the sculpture created by the late Andy Davis. Set in a fountain surrounded by piano key benches, it’s located  on the banks of the beautiful Flint River in the heart of downtown Albany. Admission is free so drop by the next time you’re in the area and listen to the river and Ray’s music playing gently in the background. It’s a must see in Southwest Georgia.

ray charles plaza albany ga detail photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2009

Leave a comment

Filed under --DOUGHERTY COUNTY GA--, Albany GA