Tag Archives: Dublin GA

Pritchett-Orr-Clark House, 1900, Dublin

Built by Thomas J. Pritchett, president of the Georgia Warehouse & Compress Company and a director of the Dublin Cotton Mill, this home was later sold to popular Dublin mayor Edwin R. Orr. Orr’s daughter Sarah, who was a good friend of Margaret Mitchell, was married to Gladstone Williams, said to be the inspiration for Rhett Butler in Gone with the Wind. Sarah lived in the house for a time and it was eventually sold to her niece, Katharine Clark. She and her husband, George, did extensive renovations while living here. They sold it to the Laurens Historical Society in 2014 and it now serves as the Dublin-Laurens County Museum & Cultural Center.

Stubbs Park-Stonewall Street Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --LAURENS COUNTY GA--, Dublin GA

J. M. Finn House, Circa 1904, Dublin

This Queen Anne cottage is presently for sale.

Stubbs Park-Stonewall Street Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

3 Comments

Filed under --LAURENS COUNTY GA--, Dublin GA

Fred Roberts Hotel, 1926, Dublin

Though Dublin’s economy was hit hard by the boll weevil and numerous bank closures in the 1920s (as was the whole country), the Chamber of Commerce sponsored the construction of this hotel in an attempt at recovery. It was known as one of the finest hotels in the region until its closure in the 1950s; by the 1980s its upper floors were abandoned and its future didn’t look good. In 2011 with the assistance of Dublin’s Downtown Development Authority, the Fred Roberts became the first mixed-used development in the city, with office, retail and residential facilities.

Dublin Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

2 Comments

Filed under --LAURENS COUNTY GA--, Dublin GA

Dublin Theatre, 1934, Dublin

Dublin’s Martin Theatre has recently been restored and is part of the wonderful historic promenade that includes the Carnegie Library, Christ Episcopal Church, and the Fred Roberts Hotel. A community performance and event space now known as Theatre Dublin, it hosts numerous concerts and events throughout the year.

Dublin Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

2 Comments

Filed under --LAURENS COUNTY GA--, Dublin GA

Carnegie Library, 1904, Dublin

At the turn of the 20th century, Dr. J. B. Duggan, Hal M. Stanley, and J. C. Wardlow worked to secure assistance from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie for the construction of a library in Dublin. With Carnegie’s gift of $10,000, the dream became a reality in 1904. Thomas H. Morgan, known as the “dean” of Atlanta architects, along with partner John Robert Dillon, was responsible for the design. The library served the community until a larger facility was constructed in 1964. The Laurens County Historical Society lead an effort to restore the library in the mid-1970s, one of the first such efforts in Dublin.

National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --LAURENS COUNTY GA--, Dublin GA

Georgian Cottage, Dublin

This is now a  law office.

1 Comment

Filed under --LAURENS COUNTY GA--, Dublin GA

Victorian Cottage, Dublin

Located on the lot behind Christ Episcopal Church, this landmark has been beautifully restored as the James S. Crabb Episcopal Center.

 

 

2 Comments

Filed under --LAURENS COUNTY GA--, Dublin GA

Christ Episcopal Church, 1898, Dublin

A small but active group of Episcopalians formed this congregation in the 1890s and built this church, their first and only permanent home, in 1898.

Dublin Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

2 Comments

Filed under --LAURENS COUNTY GA--, Dublin GA

Hicks Building, 1893, Dublin

Typical of turn-of-the-century commercial blocks, the Hicks Building today is home to two Dublin landmarks, the Minute Grill and Strickland’s Boots. It’s one of the busiest corners downtown.

Dublin Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --LAURENS COUNTY GA--, Dublin GA

First National Bank Building, 1912, Dublin


Designed for local attorney and businessman Frank Corker by the prominent Atlanta architect A. Ten Eyck Brown (1878-1940) and known as “Dublin’s Skyscraper”, the First National Bank Building was one of the tallest buildings ever built in rural Georgia. It served as a bank until the 1950s and then fell into disrepair, its future uncertain for many years. In 2014, thanks to a community effort led by a very active Downtown Development Authority and Mayor Phil Best, restoration began. Local contractors Garbutt Construction did a beautiful job. It now houses the Dublin campus of Georgia Military College, a bistro, and private office space, and is a great example of community involvement and the desire to not just save but make viable historic structures.

Dublin Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

8 Comments

Filed under --LAURENS COUNTY GA--, Dublin GA