Tag Archives: –EFFINGHAM COUNTY GA–

Folk Victorian House, Clyo

This gabled-ell house may have earlier origins than the Folk Victorian/Queen Anne ornamentation would suggest, but I’ve not been able to locate any information at this time.

3 Comments

Filed under --EFFINGHAM COUNTY GA--, Clyo GA

Georgian Cottage, Clyo

3 Comments

Filed under --EFFINGHAM COUNTY GA--, Clyo GA

Central Hallway House, Clyo

This house is a nice example of a very common vernacular form, seen less and less today.

1 Comment

Filed under --EFFINGHAM COUNTY GA--, Clyo GA

Savannah River, Effingham County

The Savannah River was one of Georgia’s original “superhighways” long before Europeans made contact. The river marks the state line between Georgia and South Carolina over much of its course; this is the view from the Highway 119 bridge near Clyo.

1 Comment

Filed under --EFFINGHAM COUNTY GA--

Tuckasee King Landing, Effingham County

The outpost of Tuckasee King, near present-day Clyo, was the first seat of Effingham County (1784-1787). It was named for a Euchee chief who lived in the area. Today, it’s best known as a landing on the Savannah River.

 

2 Comments

Filed under --EFFINGHAM COUNTY GA--

Mizpah United Methodist Church, 1859, Effingham County

From the South Georgia Conference of the United Methodist Church: In the late 1850s, Dr. Ayer from Rome came to the community to visit his daughter, Mrs. Anderson P. Longstreet, who lived in the community. There was no Methodist church in the area at this time and so Dr. Ayer contributed financially to funding a church. Lewis Grovenstein, Benjamin C. Porter, and A. P. Longstreet was selected to organize the new sanctuary and four acres were selected from property owned by George W. Best. The new structure was a frame building measuring thirty-five feet by fifty feet by thirteen feet and was completed in December 1859. On March 18, 1860, the church was organized with twenty females and twenty males on the roll. This church was served by two pastors, Rev. B. F. Breedlove and Rev. L. L. Strange. The first quarterly conference was held in September 1866, under the pastorate of Rev. N. D. Morehouse. In 1885, money was collected to “remodel, repair and paint” the church and, in 1886, the roof was extended in the front and pews were built…In August 1945, electricity was installed at Mizpah… Also in the 1940s, the inside of the sanctuary was remodeled so that the separate entrances and seating for men and women were changed to one double door and one center aisle. In 1953, the wood burning stove was replaced with a gas heater…

1 Comment

Filed under --EFFINGHAM COUNTY GA--

Mount Pleasant, Circa 1830, Effingham County

This home was built by John Gindrat Morel (1808-1871) and surely took its name from the nearby Uchee Indian settlement and English trading post known as Mt. Pleasant, on a high bluff of the Savannah River. One of Georgia’s earliest forts was located at Mt. Pleasant, under the command of Captain Thomas Wiggin, an Indian trader. Morel was a relative of Pierre Morel, whose descendants owned Ossabaw Island for more than a century, beginning in 1760. He was married to Elizabeth Kennedy, a great-granddaughter of John Adam Treutlen (1733-1782), Georgia’s first popularly elected governor. Thanks to Kenneth Dixon for background and genealogical information.

2 Comments

Filed under --EFFINGHAM COUNTY GA--