Tag Archives: –EMANUEL COUNTY GA–

Springfield Missionary Baptist Church, 1915, Oak Park

This congregation was established in 1906.

Leave a comment

Filed under --EMANUEL COUNTY GA--, Oak Park GA

Albert’s Garage, Oak Park

Leave a comment

Filed under --EMANUEL COUNTY GA--, Oak Park GA

Historic Storefront, Oak Park

This appears to have originally been a commercial structure, perhaps a grocery store or warehouse, that has since been converted for another use.

Leave a comment

Filed under --EMANUEL COUNTY GA--, Oak Park GA

Pharmacy, Circa 1930, Oak Park

This is one of several commercial structures in Oak Park built by Joe Powell. Originally a pharmacy, it was later owned by Harvey Woodrow Lindsey and served many other commercial uses over the years and is now the last survivor of a row of three brick storefronts.

1 Comment

Filed under --EMANUEL COUNTY GA--, Oak Park GA

Roscoe Peoples Sinclair Station, 1935, Oak Park

Roscoe Peoples built this Sinclair Gas station in 1935, in the Mediterranean Revival style often associated with the roadside architecture of the time. In recent years it was home to John Lindsey’s service station and the Snake Hunters Club. John Lindsey was a well-known snake collector who milked venomous species for the manufacture of antivenom. The structure has been restored and now serves as the Oak Park City Hall.

Leave a comment

Filed under --EMANUEL COUNTY GA--, Oak Park GA

Tar Paper House, Emanuel County

Leave a comment

Filed under --EMANUEL COUNTY GA--

Early Settlers Cemetery, 1881, Swainsboro

Over 80 of Swainsboro and Emanuel County’s earliest settlers are buried in this secluded downtown cemetery. It’s a great space for quiet reflection and if you’re a taphophile, you’ll enjoy it.

The triumphant arch marks the graves of John Calhoun Coleman (28 October 1844-1 January 1923) and wife Martha Sarah “Mattie” Moring Coleman (21 April 1858-15 September 1926). The angel memorializes their daughter, Juanita Coleman Smith (16 March 1874-18 May 1910). Mr. Coleman was one of the most prominent men in Emanuel County during his lifetime and was a Confederate veteran. He served in Company H, Georgia Volunteer Infantry, taking part in the Seven Days Battle, first and second battles of Cold Harbor, Harper’s Ferry, Second Manassas, Sharpsburg, first and second battles of Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysbur, and finally at Manassas Gap, where he was captured and held as a prisoner until the end of the war.

John Coleman Mitchell (25 April 1897-21 January 1901). Grandson of John Calhoun Coleman.

 

 

 

2 Comments

Filed under --EMANUEL COUNTY GA--, Swainsboro GA