Tag Archives: Famous Georgians

Revolutionary War Cemetery, Louisville

This secluded cemetery, historically known as Old Capitol Cemetery, is located on the western edge of Louisville on US Highway 221. Notable as the final resting place of two of the best-known politicians of early Georgia (one considered such a scoundrel that newspapers of the period cheered his passing with sarcastic obituaries), it also contains cenotaphs for men who fought in the American Revolution, the War of 1812, and the Civil War, as well as early Louisville settlers.

Senator James Gunn (13 March 1753-30 July 1801) – Though the headstone notes his rank in the Georgia Militia, Gunn was, more importantly, one of Georgia’s first two United States Senators.

James Gunn came from Virginia to Savannah where he began practicing law. He was a captain of a volunteer brigade of dragoons in the Revolutionary War and was among General Anthony Wayne’s forces who helped drive the British from Savannah. He was made a brigadier general in the state militia after the Revolution. He was elected to the Continental Congress in 1787 but did not serve. Along with William Few, he was one of Georgia’s first two U. S. Senators, elected as a Federalist in 1789. He attended Washington’s inauguration in New York City. Unfortunately, in 1794 Gunn was one of the primary figures in the Yazoo Land Fraud, having been an organizer of the Georgia Company which perpetrated the fraud. He delayed formal submission of the Georgia Company’s proposal to sell off western lands until after his reelection to the Senate. As soon as it became public, Gunn was the subject of outrage throughout the state but no formal charges were ever brought against him. Upon his death, just four months after his term in the Senate had ended, Gunn was ridiculed in obituaries around the state.  Gunn’s wife, Mary Jane Wright (6 December 1763-13 May 1796) of Savannah, committed suicide by drinking poison. She was buried at the family cemetery at Litchfield Plantation.

Though Gunn’s reputation is questionable, the damage to his gravestone is very unfortunate. It was carved by James Traquair, a Scottish immigrant who became a prominent stonecutter in Philadelphia. Traquair worked with America’s first professional architect, Benjamin Latrobe.

Roger Lawson Gamble (1787-20 December 1847) – Gamble grew up near Louisville and was admitted to the bar in 1815, having served as an officer in the War of 1812 and a member of the state house (1814-1815). He served as Georgia’s Attorney General from 1816-1822. He was elected as a Jacksonian to the 23rd Congress in 1832, serving one term. He was again elected, as a Whig, to the 27th Congress in 1841. He served as a judge of the Superior Court from 1845-1847. The crypt was carved by W. Glendinning, a stone mason active in Augusta in the mid-19th century. [Source 1859 Augusta City Directory].

John Gamble (1740- 1806) – Georgia Troops, Revolutionary War – I’m unable to confirm that John Gamble is a relative of Roger Lawson Gamble but assume there to be a connection. In 1772, John emigrated to Brunswick, Georgia, on the Brittania.

Major Patrick Carr (? Ireland-1802) – Georgia Troops, Revolutionary War – Carr was present at the Battle of Kings Mountain.

Roger Lawson (17 May 1730 or 1731-6 August 1803) – Georgia Troops, Revolutionary War

Captain Chesley Bostwick (1744-2 January 1808) – 7th Continental Georgia Battalion, Revolutionary War

Nathan Bostwick (26 January 1746-9 May 1817) – Georgia Troops, Revolutionary War – Bostiwick was born in Suffolk County, Virginia. He may have been the brother of Chesley, but this is not presently confirmed.

Phillip Scott (?-21 October 1817) – Georgia Troops, Revolutionary War

Private William Walker, Sr. (17 December 1762-2 February 1818) – Georgia Troops, Revolutionary War – Walker was born in Buckingham County, Virginia.

Aaron Tomlinson (1748-12 April 1828) – Georgia Troops, Revolutionary War

Captain Ambrose Wright (1745-1805) – Georgia Troops, Revolutionary War

Mary Hubbel Savage Wright (28 December1825-23 June 1854) – Mary was the first wife of Confederate Major General Ambrose Ransom “Rans” Wright, who was possibly the son of Captain Ambrose Wright.  She was the daughter of Dr. William & Mary Savage, of Augusta. She died in childbirth, and her twins are buried within this enclosure, as well. Though Findagrave notes that this may only be a memorial and that Mary may actually be buried at Magnolia Cemetery in Augusta, this seems unlikely, as the text of the stone notes that her remains are here. Investigation into the matter is needed to confirm.

Thompson Markers – Various members of the Thompson family, representing three wars, are memorialized here. It is possible that these are cenotaphs and the exact whereabouts of the decedents within the cemetery is unknown.

John Thompson and William Thompson are both listed with birthdates of 1750 and death dates of 1826, and with notice of service in the Continental Line, Revolutionary War.

William Thompson (1790-1872) – Captain, Johnson’s Company, Georgia Militia, War of 1812

Judith Price Thompson (1798-1840) – Wife of Captain William Thompson

Seaborn Jones Thompson (1827-1866) – Company H, 63rd Georgia Infantry, CSA

Joseph Maybank Jones (7 May 1804-5 January 1831) – Jones, a native of Liberty County, died near Louisville on his way home from the legislature in Milledgeville and was buried here.

Family of Owen (9 March 1806-27 January 1877) & Bdelia (11 March 1811-15 September 1884) McDermott . Fourteen more family members are buried here.

Seth Pierce (1756-1841) Revoultionary War Veteran & Obediah Pierce (1805-1884) – Cenotaph. Obediah’s three children are memorialzed, as well. His sons, Obediah, Jr., and John W. were Confederate soldiers, who appear to have died in service. His daughter, Susan Pierce Stevens, was buried in Cedar Hill Cemetery in Dawson, Georgia.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under --JEFFERSON COUNTY GA--, Louisville GA

General Clement Evans Boyhood Home, Circa 1835, Lumpkin

One of Georgia’s best-known citizens during his lifetime, General Clement Anselm Evans (1833-1911) was born near Lumpkin to Anselm  & Sarah Evans and grew up in this house. He was admitted to the bar at the age of 18 and married Mary Allen “Allie” Walton in 1854 . He was soon thereafter elected to a Stewart County judgeship and five years later was elected a state senator on the Know-Nothing ticket.

In April 1861, Evans resigned his legislative post and joined the Confederate army as a private. He became commander of the Bartow Guards (Thirty-first Georgia Infantry) in 1862, fought at Shenandoah and was present at nearly every battle of the Army of Northern Virginia. Evans was promoted to brigadier general in 1864.

After the war, General Evans was ordained a Methodist minister. He served at least six congregations in North Georgia over the course of 26 years. Upon the death of his wife in 1884, he married Sarah Ann Avary Howard. After retiring from the ministry, he edited the 13-volume Confederate Military History and coedited the influential Cyclopedia of Georgia. He was a co-founder and Georgia Division commander of the United Confederate Veterans and served the organization as commander-in-chief  from 1909-1911. His body lay in state in the state capitol and his funeral was heavily attended. Evans County was named in his honor in 1914.

Pigtail Alley Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

2 Comments

Filed under --STEWART COUNTY GA--, Lumpkin GA

Jared Irwin House, Circa 1830, Lumpkin

Thought to be the oldest house in Lumpkin, this was originally a log dogtrot to which siding was later applied.  It was the home of Jared Irwin, namesake nephew of the early Georgia governor. Upon the death of the younger Irwin’s parents, Alexander and Penelope Irwin, he was adopted by his uncle. He was in the first graduating class of Franklin College (now the University of Georgia), was an original settler of Lumpkin and served as clerk of the inferior court of Stewart County. During the Creek War of 1836, he was killed in the Battle of Shepherd’s Plantation and was tied to his horse, which returned his body to Lumpkin.

The house has been modified over time but the interior remains in largely original condition. The shed room along the rear and the front porch are later additions. It is also known as the Irwin-Partain House.

National Register of Historic Places

2 Comments

Filed under --STEWART COUNTY GA--, Lumpkin GA

Mac Hyman House, Cordele

John H. Churchwell built this house circa 1904-1905. A model was featured at the Louisiana Purchase Exhibit at the St. Louis World’s Fair in 1903; Churchwell purchased the columns from the model and had them shipped to Cordele.

Other owners of the house through the years have been the Ryals, Hodges, and Durham families, but it will be forever remembered for its most famous owner, Mac Hyman. The Cordele native was the author of No Time for Sergeants (1954), the bestselling book which spawned Broadway, television and movie versions and launched the career of Andy Griffith. Hyman was working on his second book, Take Now Thy Son at the time of his death in 1963. He was a month shy of his 40th birthday. Take Now Thy Son was published posthumously, in 1965.

Thanks to Ross Hamilton for the identification.

O’Neal School Neighborhood Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

3 Comments

Filed under --CRISP COUNTY GA--, Cordele GA

Pemberton Country Home, 1860, Columbus

Coca Cola Inventor Dr John Pemberton Country Home Relocated to Columbus GA Historic District Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2015

This house served as the residence of Dr. John S. Pemberton from 1860-1869. He moved into this house from the white cottage pictured in the previous post. Originally located four miles north of Columbus, it was relocated here in 1977 to afford it the protection of the Columbus Historic District.

Columbus Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --MUSCOGEE COUNTY GA--, Columbus GA

Dr. John S. Pemberton House, 1840, Columbus

Coca Cola Inventor Dr John Stith Pemberton House Columbus GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2015

Dr. John Stith Pemberton is known worldwide as the inventor of Coca-Cola. Born on 8 July 1831 in Knoxville, Georgia, and raised in Rome, Soon after he received his pharmacy license he married Eliza Crawford Lewis and the couple moved to Columbus. They lived in this house from 1855-1860. I’m unsure if the Greek Revival details are original or a later addition. Wounded in the Battle of Columbus in 1865, Dr. Pemberton in an attempt to alleviate pain became addicted to morphine. In his search for a cure to his addiction came the genesis of Coca-Cola, which Coca-Cola historian Phil Mooney asserts was invented in Columbus, not Atlanta as most assume. The Coca-Cola Company’s website, however, doesn’t concur. Either way, Dr. Pemberton sold the formula soon after he invented it. He died on 16 August 1888 in Atlanta and was returned to Columbus for burial.

Dr. John Stith Pemberton Columbus GA Inventor of Coca Cola Public Domain ImageDr. John Stith Pemberton – Public Domain Image via Wikipedia

National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --MUSCOGEE COUNTY GA--, Columbus GA

Charles F. Crisp House, 1892, Americus

Historic Americus GA Home of US Speaker of the House Charles F Crisp Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2015

A native of England and a Confederate veteran, Charles Frederick Crisp (1845-1896), served as judge of the Southwestern Judicial Circuit and as a member of Congress. During his time in Congress he served as Speaker of the House. He was elected to the senate a short time before his death, but did not live to take the oath of office. His son, Charles Robert Crisp (1870-1937) was appointed to fill his term and was later elected to the same seat. Speaker Crisp is the namesake of neighboring Crisp County.

Speaker Charles F. Crisp of Georgia Courtesy Collection of the US House of Representatives Public Domain ImageImage Courtesy of the U. S. House of Representatives

Americus Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

2 Comments

Filed under --SUMTER COUNTY GA--, Americus GA