Tag Archives: Greek Revival Architecture in South Georgia

Vernacular Greek Revival Cottage, Shell Bluff

Though this great little house has a slightly Victorian appearance, I believe its origins are earlier, perhaps as a vernacular Greek Revival.

3 Comments

Filed under --BURKE COUNTY GA--, Shell Bluff GA

Mercer-Bledsoe House, 1855, Georgetown

Historic Photograph (detail) of Mercer-Bledsoe House, courtesy of Jim Bledsoe

Jim Bledsoe writes: This Greek Revival house (the Mercer-Bledsoe House) was built by Levi Mercer for his son Dr. J. W. Mercer (1833-1893). Dr. Mercer first practiced medicine in the Cross Roads community but gave up his practice and came to Georgetown to become a business partner of Edgar C. Ellington. Mr. Ellington owned a large house next door, which was acquired by Dr. Mercer upon Ellington’s death. The house was then known as the Mercer House, though over the years it was owned by J. T. Gipson, L. G. Brannon, and R. G. Methvin. It no longer survives. The original Mercer house (pictured above) was rented out until 1911, at which time it was sold by Charles G. Mercer to William Walton Bledsoe (1874-1953). It is generally known today as the Bledsoe House.

 

10 Comments

Filed under --QUITMAN COUNTY GA--, Georgetown GA

Greek Revival House, Georgetown

 

Leave a comment

Filed under --QUITMAN COUNTY GA--, Georgetown GA

Harrison-Guerry-Brannon-McKenzie House, 1848, Georgetown

This is the oldest house in Georgetown and is well-maintained. James Bledsoe writes: The Guerry home, now the McKenzie home, was built about the year 1848, first being constructed in Alabama for Samuel Harrison and then being torn down and moved to Georgetown where it was rebuilt by James Harrison for his daughter and her husband, T. L. Guerry. I’m not sure when the home was acquired by the McKenzie family, but Mr. Robert McKenzie raised a family and lived there until just a few years ago until age 104…

2 Comments

Filed under --QUITMAN COUNTY GA--, Georgetown GA

Greek Revival House, Cuthbert

Cuthbert Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --RANDOLPH COUNTY GA--, Cuthbert GA

Boxwood, 1846, Cuthbert

Traditionally known as Boxwood, this Cuthbert landmark was built by Judge William Taylor, the first judge of the South Western Circuit of Georgia and later a Superior Court judge. The home was later owned by James B. Bussey. After being subdivided for use as apartments, it was restored in 1959 by U. S. Representative Bryant T. Castellow and his wife Katherine.

Cuthbert Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

3 Comments

Filed under --RANDOLPH COUNTY GA--, Cuthbert GA

Bailey-White House, 1855, Cuthbert

This Greek Revival cottage was built in 1855 by Marcellus Douglass and given to his sister, Narcissa Weakly Douglass, who married Francis David Bailey and then Judge Bedford Solomon Worrill. In the 1860s, she conducted a private school in this house. The original doors were of the “Cross and bible” design.

Cuthbert Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --RANDOLPH COUNTY GA--, Cuthbert GA

Worrill-Settles House, Circa 1840s, Cuthbert

The original Gay House [circa 1840s] located on this property burned in 1936 and the W. C. Worrill house located next door was divided into two separate houses, from which this section originated. The carriage steps remain.

Cuthbert Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

 

 

1 Comment

Filed under --RANDOLPH COUNTY GA--, Cuthbert GA

Jesse Bibb Key House, Circa 1842, Cuthbert

Originally known as Bedford Hall, for the Virginia home county of Jesse Bibb Key, this well-maintained Greek Revival is also known for its gazebo-greenhouse, both built by Key’s slaves. Key came to Cuthbert between 1835-1838 and was a successful merchant for over three decades.

Cuthbert Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

9 Comments

Filed under --RANDOLPH COUNTY GA--, Cuthbert GA

West Hill, Circa 1836, Stewart County

The land which today comprises West Hill was first acquired by William Cunningham of Pulaski County in the Land Lottery of 1827. Cunningham never occupied the property and sold it to David Harrell about 1836, when the Greek Revival main house* is thought to have been constructed. He sold the property to William West (1799-1873) in 1853. By 1860, West had 3500 acres in cultivation and 2000 acres in timberland, making him one of the largest plantation owners in Georgia. He was also a leading cotton producer, with a record of 430 bales produced around 1860. Slave labor was integral to the operation.

West deeded the property to his daughter, Annie Crooks West, in 1867. She later married James Nelson McMichael and they lived in the main house the rest of their lives. After Mrs. McMichael’s death in 1915, estate administrators operated the farm until it was purchased by her nephew, L. M. Moye, Sr., in 1929. His descendants continue to own the property. I’m most grateful to Mac Moye for a generous tour of the grounds. The property is inhabited and private.

*-Mac Moye notes the similarity of the main house to the Bedingfield Inn in Lumpkin, suggesting they were likely designed by the same builder. This must be considered more than coincidental, considering the rural nature of Stewart County in the 1830s.

West Hill Dependencies

The historical importance of West Hill is most evident in the surviving dependencies that were the hallmark of self-sustaining plantation life. That the West descendants have maintained these structures in such authentic condition for more than a century-and-a-half seems nothing short of miraculous. Other than the absence of the original wooden shingles, the outbuildings are true to their original condition.

Schoolhouse, Circa 1853

Perhaps the most significant of the remaining dependencies at West Hill is the plantation schoolhouse. One of the first schools ever built in Stewart County, its use by neighboring children was strongly encouraged by William West, who even brought a tutor from New York to teach his children here.

Schoolhouse- Foundation Stones

Schoolhouse- Dovetail Joinery

Commissary/Meat Storage House

Kitchen

Cook’s House

Blacksmith Shop

Privy

Privy- Interior, showing the unusual five-seat design.

West Hill Dependencies- Slave Dwellings of “The Grove”

Few properties in Georgia retain the dwelling places of enslaved persons, so the survival of these three at West Hill is extraordinary. Though they have been maintained by the family for their historical value, they are the most endangered, and arguably the most important structures on the property. About a quarter mile from the main house in an area referred to as “The Grove”, these single-pen houses were used as tenant homes long after emancipation. As a result of their later use, two were slightly modified. One has an extra room and shed room, while another has a shed room. Like the dependencies at the periphery of the main house, these structures were of log construction with siding and would also have originally featured wooden shingles.

Slave Dwelling No. 1

All of the slave dwellings are believed to be contemporary to the construction of the main house, dating them to circa 1836.

Slave Dwelling No. 1- Interior Detail

Slave Dwelling No. 2

Slave Dwelling No. 2- Interior Detail

Slave Dwelling No. 2- Hearth

Slave Dwelling No. 2- Rear Perspective

Slave Dwelling No. 3

Slave Dwelling No. 3- Rear view showing shed room

National Register of Historic Places

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

8 Comments

Filed under --STEWART COUNTY GA--