Tag Archives: –LEE COUNTY GA–

Central of Georgia Depot, 1895, Leesburg

It’s nice to share a restoration success story from time to time and Leesburg’s historic Central of Georgia Depot fits the bill. There were plans to restore the structure as early as 2002 but storm damage in 2006 and budget issues delayed the project to the point that many believed it would never happen. See it before restoration here. Thanks to the efforts of concerned locals who never gave up on the project, it was beautifully restored and reopened to the public in 2018. It now serves as the Chamber of Commerce and visitor center for the community. It was a recipient of a 2019 Excellence in Rehabilitation Award from the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation.

National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --LEE COUNTY GA--, Leesburg GA

Abandoned Farmhouse, Lee County

lee-county-ga-abandoned-farmhouse-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2012

5 Comments

Filed under --LEE COUNTY GA--

Historic Storefronts, Smithville

smithville-ga-historic-storefronts-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2012

This block of buildings is abandoned but some of the historic storefronts, as seen below, have been refurbished.

smithville-ga-revitalized-storefronts-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2012

 

3 Comments

Filed under --LEE COUNTY GA--, Smithville GA

Masonic Lodge, Smithville

smithville-ga-masonic-lodge-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2012

Leave a comment

Filed under --LEE COUNTY GA--, Smithville GA

Central of Georgia Railway Depot, Smithville

smithville-ga-central-of-georgia-railway-depot-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2012

Leave a comment

Filed under --LEE COUNTY GA--, Smithville GA

Leesburg High School, 1922

historic leesburg high school lee county ga photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2012

This historic high school was constructed by Ivey P. Crutchfield, who later went on to become a noted architect in South Georgia and North Florida. The Macon firm of Dennis & Dennis were the architects.

National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --LEE COUNTY GA--, Leesburg GA

Leesburg Presbyterian Church

historic leesburg presbyterian church lee county ga photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2012

Leesburg Presbyterian Church was founded in 1869, and this church built around 1906. Donna King notes that it closed in 2009 after the congregation worked very hard to keep it open. It was purchased by Leesburg First Baptist Church around 2011. Steve Robinson writes: …this church was moved in July 2016 to Moultrie. It is now a wedding Chapel at Sundown Farms Plantation.

5 Comments

Filed under --LEE COUNTY GA--, Leesburg GA