Tag Archives: Ludowici Tile

Franklinia Restaurant, Circa 1945, Ludowici

Franklinia Restaurant Ludowici GA Long County US Highway 84 Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2014

A postcard dating to 1945 would suggest this local landmark was likely built around the end of World War II. At that time, the catch phrase for the business was “Court of the Lost Flower”, for the mysterious Franklinia tree (Franklinia alatamaha) first collected by John Bartram near Fort Barrington along the Altamaha River in 1765 and named for Benjamin Franklin. Though the species survives in cultivation, it was thought to be extinct in the wild by the early 1800s. The motel is still standing to the left of this structure, but is now used as apartments.

Franklinia Restaurant Ludowici GA Long County US Highway 84 Roadside Diner Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2014

In its heyday, it was a busy roadside stopover on U. S. Highway 84.

Ludowici GA Postcard Franklinia Motel and Restaurant 1960s Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2014

This postcard, from the early 1960s, shows that the Ludowici Tile used as awning on the restaurant today was not present in the structure’s early days. The motel did boast a Ludowici tile roof, which has since been replaced. It was owned by Mr. & Mrs. Hugh Gordon at the time of this image.

5 Comments

Filed under --LONG COUNTY GA--, Ludowici GA

J. G. Williams House, 1910, Statesboro

Williams Nettleton House Statesboro GA National Register Historic District Ludowici Tile Roof Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2014

This landmark at the corner of College Boulevard & Savannah Avenue was later restored by Douglass Nettleton.

Savannah Avenue Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

2 Comments

Filed under --BULLOCH COUNTY GA--, Statesboro GA

Atlanta, Birmingham & Atlantic Railroad Depot, 1910, Fitzgerald

AB&A RR Depot Fitzgerald GA Spanish Mission Revival Landmark Blue & Grey Museum Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2013

The old A. B. & A. depot and passenger station is one of the most interesting such structures in South Georgia with a Spanish Mission Revival style and Ludowici tile roof. It now houses the Blue & Gray Museum (on the far left) and is presently being restored.

AB&A Railroad Depot Fitzgerald GA Spanish Mission Revival Landmark Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2013

4 Comments

Filed under --BEN HILL COUNTY GA--, Fitzgerald GA

The Altamaha Apiaries, Circa 1900, Gardi

Fancy Honey Gardi GA Old Post Office Store Altamaha Apiaries Ludowici Tile Terracotta Roof Wayne County Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2013

This is one of Wayne County’s best-known landmarks. It originally served as a general store and post office; the Fancy Honey sign was added later, probably in the 1940s.

Fancy Honey Gardi GA Old Post Office Store Altamaha Apiaries Wayne County Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2013

11 Comments

Filed under --WAYNE COUNTY GA--, Gardi GA

R. B. Smiley Farm, Long County

Ludowici Dixie Terracotta Tile Roof Vernacular Architecture Farmhouse Long Couny GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2013

The Smiley family owned a grocery store in Ludowici for many years.

log-barn-with-terracotta-ludowici-tile-roof-moss-draped-oak-trees-old-farm-long-county-ga-vernacular-architecture-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2013

The Ludowici tile roofing was once much more common in the area, as it was manufactured in the community.

abandoned-workshop-barn-ludowici-dixie-tile-roof-long-county-ga-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2013

3 Comments

Filed under --LONG COUNTY GA--

Alford-Mann House, 1912, Sylvester

Sylvester GA WOrth County Italianate Revival House Terra Cotta Roof Tiles Picture Image Photograph Copyright © Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2013

This well-maintained Mediterranean Revival landmark is presently used as an attorney’s office. Thanks to Mary King Givens for the identification.

Sylvester GA Worth County Mediterranean Revival Architecture Landmark Photograph Copyright © Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2013

7 Comments

Filed under --WORTH COUNTY GA--, Sylvester GA

Grace Lynn House, Baxley

baxley-ga-grace-lynn-house-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2013

Lori Graham writes: This house belonged to Miss Grace Lynn, a very special woman…She was a native of Appling County and lived in Atlanta for many years before returning to Appling County in 1974. She was an interior decorator and a member of the First United Methodist Church, where she was active in the beautification of church grounds. She was in charge of beautification for the City of Baxley and Appling County for many years.

3 Comments

Filed under --APPLING COUNTY GA--, Baxley GA

Coca-Cola Bottling Company, Circa 1910, Waycross

waycross-ga-coca-cola-bottling-company-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2013

This side view really shows off the architecture of this old building, which has been abandoned for as long as I can remember. It was originally home to the Waycross Coca-Cola Bottling Company, which moved to nearby Nicholls Street in the late 1950s.

Downtown Waycross Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --WARE COUNTY GA--, Waycross GA

Allen Johnston House, Circa 1858, Ludowici

ludowici-ga-allen-johnston-house-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2013

This was the home of Allen Johnston, who settled the area of  present-day Ludowici around 1850. It was known as Johnston Station until 1905. The Ludowici tile roof was added to this structure around 1905, as well. I believe Bessie O’ Neal, a granddaughter of Allen Johnston, was the last family member to live here. It’s sad to see it in this condition, as it’s the only remnant of the town’s earliest history in existence.

8 Comments

Filed under --LONG COUNTY GA--, Ludowici GA

W. C. Wright House, 1922, Fort Valley

Everett Square Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

4 Comments

Filed under --PEACH COUNTY GA--, Fort Valley GA