Tag Archives: National Historic Landmarks

Eclectic House, Adrian

Though the layout is Georgian Cottage, this house has Victorian elements, as well. Whatever the form, it’s one of my favorite houses in Adrian.

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under --JOHNSON COUNTY GA--, Adrian GA

Historic Storefronts, Adrian

Main Street

Nora Boulevard

Poplar Street

Leave a comment

Filed under --EMANUEL COUNTY GA--, Adrian GA

Pierce County Jail, 1894, Blackshear

This served as the county jail until 1926, when another facility was constructed near the courthouse. This facility served as the city jail until 1976, as well as police headquarters. It has been empty for many years and will hopefully be restored in the near future.

National Register of Historic Places

4 Comments

Filed under --PIERCE COUNTY GA--, Blackshear GA

Folk Victorian House, Waycross

Waycross Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

 

2 Comments

Filed under --WARE COUNTY GA--, Waycross GA

Christ Episcopal Church, 1898, Dublin

A small but active group of Episcopalians formed this congregation in the 1890s and built this church, their first and only permanent home, in 1898.

Dublin Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --LAURENS COUNTY GA--, Dublin GA

Kolomoki Mounds, 350-750 AD, Early County

kolomoki mounds national historic landmark temple mound photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2016

Located along Kolomoki Creek, a tributary of the nearby Chattahoochee River, Kolomoki Mounds is among the largest Woodland Period burial and temple complexes in the Southeast.  The site dates to 350-750AD/CE and may have been one of the most populous settlements north of Mexico at the time. Most of the mounds are quite small in contrast to the Temple Mound (seen above), which has a base of 325 by 200 feet and a height of 56 feet. It is believed that the Temple Mound was used for religious ceremonies and there is speculation that the chieftain’s house was located on the west side (seen below) of the mound, which is slightly higher than the east side.

kolomoki mounds early county ga temple mound photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2016

Various tribes made this site home, including Weeden Island, Kolomoki, and Lamar Indians.

kolomoki mounds ga view from atop temple mound photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2016

This view, from atop the Temple Mound, looks out onto a vast plaza. This was a typical layout for Woodland villages. The plaza would have included various houses of wattle and daub construction, roofed with local grasses. In its time, all of this would have been exposed red clay.

kolomoki mounds temple mound stairs photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2016

Looking down the steps to the plaza gives some perspective as to the size of the temple mound.

kolomoki mounds national historic landmark photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2016

This burial mound, on the plaza, is known simply as Mound D. At 20 feet, it’s one of the largest extant Woodland burial mounds. It was completely excavated in the early 1950s; radiocarbon dating has suggested it was built around 30AD/CE, with a margin of error of 300 years. More information about the site’s smaller mounds and a history of archaeological excavations conducted here over the years can be found at the New Georgia Encyclopedia. Sadly, a theft at the site in 1974 resulted in the loss of numerous pieces of pottery and other artifacts. It’s hoped that an inventory of the stolen items, which are still sought by the park, will eventually lead to some of them being recovered.

kolomoki mounds state historic park gopher tortoise photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2016

There is much to see at Kolomoki Mounds State Park, including abundant wildlife and flora. This Gopher Tortoise (Gopherus polyphemus), covered in red clay, was crossing the main road in the park. They were likely quite abundant here in the Woodland Period.

National Historic Landmark

 

3 Comments

Filed under --EARLY COUNTY GA--

New Era School, 1929, Sumter County

New Era School House Sumter County GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2015

Beverly Burk writes: This brick building was built in 1929 and was called New Era School. It operated until the early 1970,s and was closed. Grades 1 -9 attended. It was renovated in the late 1980s and is now a beautiful home.

1 Comment

Filed under --SUMTER COUNTY GA--, New Era GA