Tag Archives: National Register of Historic Places

Telfair County Courthouse, 1934, McRae

McRae was designated the Telfair County seat in 1871 (replacing Jacksonville) and a courthouse was constructed in 1873. A more modern structure was completed in 1904 and served until burning in the early 1930s.

The present structure was built in 1934, incorporating some of the brick walls from the 1904 structure. It was designed by the Macon firm of Dennis & Dennis.

National Register of Historic Places

 

Advertisements

1 Comment

Filed under --TELFAIR COUNTY GA--, McRae GA

Telfair County Jail, 1902, McRae

Few historic jails of this age are still in use but Telfair County’s is an exception. It’s been renovated in recent years and additions have been made. This was a common style for jails in the early 20th century.

National Register of Historic Places

 

2 Comments

Filed under --TELFAIR COUNTY GA--, McRae GA

Dr. George Kirkley House, Fitzgerald


This Sears-Roebuck kit house, a perfect Craftsman bungalow, was the longtime home of Fitzgerald dentist Dr. George Kirkley.

South Main Street-South Lee Street Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

3 Comments

Filed under --BEN HILL COUNTY GA--, Fitzgerald GA

Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Depot, 1917, Blackshear

Built to replace the Savannah, Florida & Western depot which burned in 1917, this structure was used by the Atlantic Coast Line and Seaboard Coast Line for passenger and freight service and handled freight as late as the 1970s. It now houses the Pierce County Heritage Museum.

National Register of Historic Places

2 Comments

Filed under --PIERCE COUNTY GA--, Blackshear GA

Pierce County Jail, 1894, Blackshear

This served as the county jail until 1926, when another facility was constructed near the courthouse. This facility served as the city jail until 1976, as well as police headquarters. It has been empty for many years and will hopefully be restored in the near future.

National Register of Historic Places

4 Comments

Filed under --PIERCE COUNTY GA--, Blackshear GA

First African Baptist Church, Circa 1905, Waycross

Now known as Antioch First Baptist Church, this was built by the congregation of the First African Baptist Church, who were the first and “mother” church of all the other African-American Baptist congregations in the area. It has its origins in a group of ex-slaves who were first organized as Zion African Baptist Church in 1870. Reverend Frank S. Hazzard was the first pastor. He was the founder in 1880 of the first private school for black children in Ware County, known as Hazzard Hill Baptist School. After meeting in a log cabin for many years, they built a more substantial frame church around the turn of the century. It was destroyed by a storm just a few years later and the present structure was built to replace it in 1905.

National Register of Historic Places

2 Comments

Filed under --WARE COUNTY GA--, Waycross GA

Queen Anne Cottage, Waycross

This is now used as an office.

Waycross Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --WARE COUNTY GA--, Waycross GA