Tag Archives: Newton GA
Designed by J. W. Golucke in 1900, this courthouse survived the Flint River floods of 1924, 1929, and the historic flood of 1994, during which waters nearly reached the second floor. Golucke was Georgia’s most prolific courthouse architect, but ironically died in prison in Newton in 1907, having been convicted of misappropriating funds in the construction of the very courthouse seen here. Though no longer used as a courthouse, it is now utilized by a variety of public service entities.
National Register of Historic Places