Also known as the Swift-Tolleson House, this antebellum Greek Revival townhouse was built for Judge William Tyre Swift, most likely with the labor of enslaved men. The street on which it is located is named for Judge Swift. In 1879, legend relates that the world-famous SSS Tonic was invented in the backyard by Judge Swift’s descendant, Charles Thomas Swift. The tonic was one of the best-selling American patent medicines of its time and is still in production today, albeit a different formula. J. Meade Tolleson purchased the home in 1929 and it remained in the Tolleson family another forty years.
Tag Archives: Perry GA
Perhaps Perry’s most historic structure, this church was begun at the outset of the Civil War. The congregation dates to 1826 and at least two buildings served as home to the Methodist church prior to the construction of this one. The architect of the present church, D. P. Flandreau, of Chester, New York, was so taken with the South that he left Perry to serve with the Confederacy as a member of the Southern Rights Guard. Legend suggests that a slave named Pete, belonging to W. M. Davis, was sent by his master to learn architecture in the North, was granted his freedom after building such a fine home for Davis. It is suggested that with the help of other slaves they completed this church while their masters were away at war.