St. Matthew’s was built using granitoid blocks from the Fitzgerald Granitoid Works.
Tag Archives: South Georgia Architecture
The Jeffersonville Methodist Episcopal congregation was formed in 1839, first meeting in the home of Joshua Grantham. Their first permanent home was located on West Magnolia Street, but was replaced by a more substantial frame structure on this location in the mid-19th century. In 1918, Ella Beckom donated funds for the construction of the present church to honor her parents, Mr. & Mrs. Fran Beckom, but money ran out just as the building reached the window ledges. The congregation met in the old Auburn Institution for several years but in 1923 construction resumed and was completed in 1924.