Dublin’s Martin Theatre has recently been restored and is part of the wonderful historic promenade that includes the Carnegie Library, Christ Episcopal Church, and the Fred Roberts Hotel. A community performance and event space now known as Theatre Dublin, it hosts numerous concerts and events throughout the year.
Dublin Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places
This Art Deco landmark was built for the Tom Huston Frozen Foods Company and was converted for use as the Montezuma Motor Company around 1950. It was a Ford Dealership.
Montezuma Historic District, National Register of Historic Places
Note the ghost sign for the City Barber Shop on the right of the building.
Butler Downtown Historic District, National Register of Historic Places
The faded signs on this building indicate that it sold furniture but D. A. Bolton writes that it was built as an early automobile dealership. He notes that the service area was on the second floor and cars were lifted by a large lift that’s still intact today. After the auto dealership closed, it was a John Deere dealership for a time. The furniture business here was short lived and apparently the last tenant.
Originally known as the Georgia Theater, this Art Deco facility is now part of the Averitt Center for the Arts and was renamed in honor of musical icon Emma Kelly, the “Lady of 6,000 Songs”. The late Mrs. Kelly is known to wider audiences due to her cameo role in the movie Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.
East Main Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places
This Art Deco landmark now serves as the senior citizens center. Built by Charlie Powell and remodeled after burning in 1956, it’s one of the most visually appealing theatres in South Georgia.
Moultrie Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places