Tag Archives: South Georgia Carnegie Libraries

Carnegie Library, 1904, Dublin

At the turn of the 20th century, Dr. J. B. Duggan, Hal M. Stanley, and J. C. Wardlow worked to secure assistance from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie for the construction of a library in Dublin. With Carnegie’s gift of $10,000, the dream became a reality in 1904. Thomas H. Morgan, known as the “dean” of Atlanta architects, along with partner John Robert Dillon, was responsible for the design. The library served the community until a larger facility was constructed in 1964. The Laurens County Historical Society lead an effort to restore the library in the mid-1970s, one of the first such efforts in Dublin.

National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --LAURENS COUNTY GA--, Dublin GA

Carnegie Library, 1907, Montezuma

montezuma ga carnegie library photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2016

Montezuma Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

 

1 Comment

Filed under --MACON COUNTY GA--, Montezuma GA

Carnegie Library, 1908, Americus

Historic Americus GA Carnegie Library Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2015

Americus Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

2 Comments

Filed under --SUMTER COUNTY GA--, Americus GA

Carnegie Library, 1912, Cuthbert

cuthbert ga carnegie library photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2012

Built for $12,000, Cuthbert’s Colonial Revival Carnegie Library is now home to the Randolph County Chamber of Commerce.

Cuthbert Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

4 Comments

Filed under --RANDOLPH COUNTY GA--, Cuthbert GA