Tag Archives: South Georgia Churches
This congregation traces its origins to Allen Chapel Congregational Church, a mission of the Congregational Church of New England, sometime around 1846. The present church was constructed in 1919. In 1920, the trustees decided to affiliate with the Methodists and the church was officially renamed Powersville Methodist in 1922.
This historic African-American church was organized in 1892. It was re-established in 1954 by Reverend A. Goram. Deacons at the time of re-establishment were L. J. Robinson, H. Geter, Sr., C. H. Gillis, Jr., S. E. Chapman, J. A. Williams, and W. B. Bennett. Trustees were Rufus Mincey, Jessie Dixon, Charlie Little, and Jim Nesbit.
According to Bainbridge First United Methodist Church, the congregation was granted land on this site in 1830 and in 1840 their first church home, a ‘log house’ was constructed. A more formal frame structure was built in 1854 and used until the 1890s. A brick church, the first in Bainbridge, was dedicated in 1899, but was destroyed by fire in 1906. The present Romanesque Revival structure was completed in 1908 and dedicated in 1911.
Bainbridge Residential Historic District, National Register of Historic Places