Tag Archives: South Georgia Houses
Byromville, originally known as Friendship, was a stagecoach stop operated by Thomas Swearington. In 1852, Swearington sold the surrounding land to William Hardwick Byrom. Byrom built a large general store, which included a post office, and the name of the community was changed to honor him, in 1853. It was incorporated in 1905. This landmark Greek Revival Georgian Cottage remained in the Byrom family until 1992 and underwent a certified rehabilitation by the new owners thereafter.
National Register of Historic Places
Colonel Edward Bird (1825-1893) was a successful timber and turpentine operator before the Civil War. He joined Company A, Squadron B, Georgia Cavalry, as Captain. It was nicknamed Captain Bird’s Mounted Company, 2nd Battalion, Georgia Cavalry. Captain Bird was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel on 17 May 1862 and took command of the 2nd Battalion. He transferred to the 5th Regiment, Georgia Cavalry on 20 January 1863 and was promoted to Colonel in 1864. He commanded the 5th Battalion until surrendering at Greensboro, North Carolina on 26 April 1865. After the war, Colonel Bird resumed his business and remained a prominent citizen of Guyton until his death.
Guyton Historic District, National Register of Historic Places