Tag Archives: South Georgia Institutional Architecture

Midville High School

This was likely built in the 1910s or 1920s. The keystone arch displays the letters M H S.

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under --BURKE COUNTY GA--, Midville GA

Gymnasium, Lenox

This is located on the campus of the old Lenox Elementary School.

Leave a comment

Filed under --COOK COUNTY GA--, Lenox GA

Post Office, 1939, Ashburn

Ashburn Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --TURNER COUNTY GA--, Ashburn GA

Stewart-Webster Hospital, 1950, Richland

The cornerstone of the hospital is dated 1949 but I understand it wasn’t completed and occupied until 1950. It was sponsored by the Richland Lions Club and Dr. J. T. Phillips was the hospital authority chairman. This is just one of numerous rural hospitals that have closed in recent years, leaving many without accessible major medical care. The politics around the issue go back and forth, but when your county loses a hospital, that’s irrelevant. This particular hospital served two counties.

Leave a comment

Filed under --STEWART COUNTY GA--, Richland GA

Richland Elementary & High School, Circa 1933

According to Mac Moye, the first school on this site was built in 1888-1889. The second school was built in 1901 and burned in 1931. This structure was built and occupied by 1933. Much of the identification and background on Richland comes from Mac, an excellent local historian who also serves as Stewart County Manager.

Richland Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --STEWART COUNTY GA--, Richland GA

New Webster County Jail, 1910, Preston

Built to replace the old jail, which was located next door (below), this structure was used at least into the 1990s to temporarily house prisoners and as the sheriff’s’ office.

National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --WEBSTER COUNTY GA--, Preston GA

Sumter County Hospital, 1913, Americus

A group of local women established the Americus & Sumter County Hospital Association in 1908 and after raising funds and community interest in a modern medical facility, they dedicated the Sumter County Hospital in 1913.

Initially a 27-bed facility, it doubled in size after the addition of an annex in 1932. It was in use until a new hospital opened north of town in 1952.

This Prairie style landmark has been abandoned for over 60 years and is presently on the market.

Americus Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

8 Comments

Filed under --SUMTER COUNTY GA--, Americus GA