Tag Archives: South Georgia Newspapers

Auburn, 1899, Long County

This was the home of Helen Williams Coxon (1899-1989), a pioneer journalist,editor, and publisher (The Ludowici News). Known statewide as the “Lady from Long”, she served in the Georgia House of Representatives and the Georgia Senate. She was also the first woman on the State Board of Pardons and Paroles, serving the year it was created (1943). The home, known as Auburn, was built by Helen’s father, Harry Guston Williams (1864-1937), who came from Warren County, North Carolina, to Georgia, and eventually operated thirteen sawmills. It remains in the family.

Helen Reid Williams Coxon [Public Domain Photograph, via Georgia Department of Pardons and Paroles]

 

3 Comments

Filed under --LONG COUNTY GA--

Waycross Journal-Herald Building

waycross-ga-journal-herald-building-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2017

The Waycross Journal-Herald Building  is a wonderful example of Modernist architecture.

waycross-journal-herald-building-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2017

Downtown Waycross Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --WARE COUNTY GA--, Waycross GA

William Stewart House, Fitzgerald

Gelders House FItzgerald GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2014

Jan Gelders writes: This house was built by William Stewart, father of Maud Stewart Gelders, in 1904. The Gelders house is on W. Central Avenue across from The Massee Bed and Breakfast and was built by William Stewart as a wedding gift to Maud and Isidor Gelders in 1898. Maud Gelders was the first teacher in the colony, in addition to writing the History of Fitzgerald along with many other accomplishments in the field of journalism, as co-editor with her husband Isidor in the Fitzgerald Leader Newspaper, the original descendant to the first colony newspaper.

Leave a comment

Filed under --BEN HILL COUNTY GA--, Fitzgerald GA

Lane Building, Millen

Millen GA Downtown Historic District Three Story Building Commercial Architecture Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2013

Constructed by John Edenfield in the early 1900s and now known as the Lane Building, this was known for a time as the Wayside Hotel (perhaps its original use) and during the 1930s was the plant for the Millen News.

Millen GA Downtown Historic District Three Story Building Commercial Architecture Early 20th Century Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2013

Downtown Millen Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --JENKINS COUNTY GA--, Millen GA

People’s Bank, 1905, Richland

richland-ga-peoples-bank-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2011

The largest building in the photograph, the People’s Bank of Richland, is now home to the equally historic Stewart-Webster Journal.

Richland Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --STEWART COUNTY GA--, Richland GA

Ledger-Enquirer Building, 1931, Columbus

columbus ledger enquirer building photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2010

The Columbus architectural firm of Smith & Biggers designed this Mediterranean-style landmark for the R. W. Page Company, which controlled the city’s two leading dailies, The Columbus Enquirer and The Columbus Ledger. The building is presently being expanded and will be the future home of Columbus State University’s College of Education and Health Professions.

National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --MUSCOGEE COUNTY GA--, Columbus GA

Montgomery Monitor Building, Mount Vernon

mount vernon ga montgomery monitor building photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2010

5 Comments

Filed under --MONTGOMERY COUNTY GA--, Mount Vernon GA

Georgia Post Building, 1928, Knoxville

knoxville ga georgia post building photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south geogia usa 2010

The Georgia Post served as the newspaper of record for Knoxville and Roberta, as well as all of Crawford County. Crawford B. H. Moncrief (1889-1950) published the first issue from his home on 1 January 1922 and continued to publish it from there until the constrcution of this office in 1928. The paper has changed ownership over the years but is still in production (from a different location). It’s an excellent intact example of a small-town newspaper office.

National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --CRAWFORD COUNTY GA--, Knoxville GA