Roscoe Peoples built this Sinclair Gas station in 1935, in the Mediterranean Revival style often associated with the roadside architecture of the time. In recent years it was home to John Lindsey’s service station and the Snake Hunters Club. John Lindsey was a well-known snake collector who milked venomous species for the manufacture of antivenom. The structure has been restored and now serves as the Oak Park City Hall.
Tag Archives: South Georgia Restorations
It’s nice to share a restoration success story from time to time and Leesburg’s historic Central of Georgia Depot fits the bill. There were plans to restore the structure as early as 2002 but storm damage in 2006 and budget issues delayed the project to the point that many believed it would never happen. See it before restoration here. Thanks to the efforts of concerned locals who never gave up on the project, it was beautifully restored and reopened to the public in 2018. It now serves as the Chamber of Commerce and visitor center for the community. It was a recipient of a 2019 Excellence in Rehabilitation Award from the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation.
National Register of Historic Places
The Seixas [pronounced say-shus] family were among the early settlers of Thomasville and this house, now an office, is the oldest one-story house in Thomasville. It was moved to this location by Thomasville Landmarks to prevent demolition.
Dawson Street Residential Historic District, National Register of Historic Places