Most of these storefronts are in ruins and will soon be gone. The building on the far right was Brady’s Food Basket, the local grocery store.
Tag Archives: South Georgia Streets
Third Avenue is the main street of historic Glenwood. It’s essentially two streets, running along either side of the the railroad tracks. The commercial area is located on Northeast Third Avenue while Southeast Third Avenue is predominately residential. The two buildings at left in the photo above are both empty shells inside and will be lost if not stabilized. The exteriors are in relatively good shape, though. The structures seen below appear to be in better condition.
First settled as a Creek village called Chenube in the first half of the 19th century, the post office name was changed to Parrott in 1889, when the present town was incorporated. It’s named for John Lawson Parrott (1838-1920), a prominent landowner in the area who donated the land which became the business district, including the school and churches. From its founding until World War II, Parrott was quite prosperous and once boasted the most millionaires per capita in the state. If you’re in the area, spend an hour or two walking around Parrott. It’s one of the nicest small towns anywhere in Georgia.
Parrott Historic District, National Register of Historic Places