Tag Archives: South Georgia Superlatives

St. George Elementary School, 1938

st-george-elementary-school-charlton-county-ga-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2013

Built to replace the original St. George School (1910) which was destroyed by fire, St. George Elementary is the southernmost school in Georgia.

st-george-elementary-school-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2012

2 Comments

Filed under --CHARLTON COUNTY GA--, St. George GA

Elephant Tombstone, Colquitt County

moultrie-ga-elephant-tombstone-william-f-duggan-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2012

Ask anyone in Moultrie about the “elephant” and they’ll gladly direct you to the Pleasant Grove Primitive Baptist Church , where you’ll find the final resting place of William F. Duggan, Sr. (18 January 1899-22 December 1950). Locals contend that this is the most famous landmark in Colquitt County and since it’s thought to be the only life-sized elephant tombstone in the world, the distinction seems appropriate. The life-size sculpture depicts Nancy, a baby elephant owned by Duggan, who had just bought a circus at the time of his death. As a boy, Duggan worked with elephants in various circuses and always favored them. His son had this sculpture commissioned after his death. Athens-based photographer Dagmar Nelson shares a bit more of the history here.

13 Comments

Filed under --COLQUITT COUNTY GA--, Moultrie GA

The Peanut Farmer Mural, Colquitt

the-peanut-farmer-mural-colqutt-ga-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2011

Famed muralist Charlie Johnston created “The Peanut Farmer”, the largest mural in the United States. It’s nearly 100 feet tall and covers virtually all 26,700 square feet of the Birdsong Peanut Company’s Colquitt silos. It’s one of numerous excellent murals in this friendly farming town.

4 Comments

Filed under --MILLER COUNTY GA--, Colquitt GA

Coheelee Creek Covered Bridge, 1891, Early County

coheelee creek bridge hilton ga photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2011

Built by J. W. Baughman in 1891, this 121-foot span over McDonald’s Ford was restored by John Cherry in 1984. It is the southernmost covered bridge in the United States. Baughman’s grandson, J. W. Baughman III, writes that he was born in 1861 in Lexington, South Carolina, and died in 1923 in Dothan. Iron gates have now been placed at both ends of the bridge due to graffiti and other damage to the bridge.

coheelee creek covered bridge early county ga photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2011

National Register of Historic Places

11 Comments

Filed under --EARLY COUNTY GA--, Hilton GA

Echols County Welcome Sign

echols county line carrot sign photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2011

Boundary signs like this one on Georgia Highway 135 greet visitors all around Echols County. They boast the little-known fact that Echols County is the Carrot Capital of the South. It’s also one of the most rural counties in the state, with no incorporated towns, including the county seat of Statenville.

Leave a comment

Filed under --ECHOLS COUNTY GA--

Former National Champion Turkey Oak, Screven

 screven ga former national champion turkey oak photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2011

Across the street from  Screven United Methodist Church is this great Turkey Oak (Quercus laevis), once the National Champion of its species. The American Forestry Association’s National Registry of Big Trees named it to the listing in 1991, stating its dimensions as: 106″ circumference, 80′ high, with a crown dimension of 55′. Sandee Strickland notes that a tornado in 2005 did damage to some of the crown; another Turkey Oak, in Florida, is the current champion. Turkey Oaks (Quercus laevis) are a staple of sandill and scrublands in the Deep South and most field guides suggest that they are rarely taller than 30′-50′, so this tree may still be the tallest extant of the species.

4 Comments

Filed under --WAYNE COUNTY GA--, Screven GA

Bland Farms, Tattnall County

bland farms vidalia onions crates phoitograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2011

Directly across the highway from the offices of Bland Farms you’re likely to see these crates stacked 15-20 feet high; they look like two big buildings from a distance. Bland Farms is the country’s largest grower, packer and shipper of sweet onions, accounting for nearly half of all Vidalia onions sold.

1 Comment

Filed under --TATTNALL COUNTY GA--

Poulan Library, 1908

poulan-library-worth-county-ga-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2016

The early 20th century was a time of vast civic improvements in the United States, and small towns were as involved in these efforts as were larger cities. The Poulan Library and its initial collection of books was a gift from philanthropist and Michigan governor (1911-13) Chase Osborne, who often stayed at his nearby plantation, Possum Poke. Significantly, the Poulan Library was the only public library in Worth County until the Worth County Public Library opened in 1931. The library was also the meeting place of the Poulan Women’s Club from its founding in 1916 until the 1930s. Still open today, it’s said to be the smallest public library in Georgia.

National Register of Historic Places

11 Comments

Filed under --WORTH COUNTY GA--, Poulan GA