Tag Archives: South Georgia Theatres & Auditoriums

Glenwood High School, 1920, 1933 & 1951, Wheeler County

In addition to an annex behind the original schoolhouse, the campus of the old Glenwood High School has a slightly more modern auditorium (above) built in 1951.

The original building is a one-story Spanish Mission Revival structure (not pictured due to inability to access) built in 1920; the two-story annex (above) was added between 1930-1933. In recent years, it has served as the campus for the Transitional Alternative Prep School.

National Register of Historic Places

 

1 Comment

Filed under --WHEELER COUNTY GA--, Glenwood GA

Olive Theatre, 1928, Donalsonville

When it opened as a silent movie house, the Olive Theatre’s namesake, Olive Dunn, played the piano that accompanied the films. It was restored by the Arts Council and is now used for live performances. The theatre closed in 1949 when the Dunn Theatre, a more modern facility, was opened nearby. Over the years it housed numerous businesses. Broome Furniture Company was the last and upon closing the owner donated the building to the Arts Council.

Donalsonville Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --SEMINOLE COUNTY GA--, Donalsonville GA

Edison Theater, 1951

Lamar Sanders writes: I went to its opening in the 1950s. It was an Esther Williams swimming movie, and it was packed and had chairs in the aisles. The theater across the street charged 11 cents, and this one, built by Bill Israel, went up to 15 cents. Then you needed a nickel for a piece of candy and another nickel for a coke.

Edison Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --CALHOUN COUNTY GA--, Edison GA

Theater, Hartsfield

This short dirt road is known as Library Road, so I wondered if this was the library, but Holly Perryman writes: This was not a library. It was a movie theater to start with. When Herschel Mims ran a store that is between the post office and the voting precinct building, he used the old theater to store fertilizer in. The white block building on the corner of Bryan Road used to be the library but is now the voting precinct.

1 Comment

Filed under --COLQUITT COUNTY GA--, Hartsfield GA

Dublin Theatre, 1934, Dublin

Dublin’s Martin Theatre has recently been restored and is part of the wonderful historic promenade that includes the Carnegie Library, Christ Episcopal Church, and the Fred Roberts Hotel. A community performance and event space now known as Theatre Dublin, it hosts numerous concerts and events throughout the year.

Dublin Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

2 Comments

Filed under --LAURENS COUNTY GA--, Dublin GA

Strand Theatre, 1924, Jesup

strand cinema twin theatre jesup ga photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2016

The primary tenant of the the O’Quinn Building, the Strand Theatre opened in 1924 with 894 seats. Theatre builders of this time typically rented space adjoining their theatres as it was considered prime real estate. The Strand was transformed into a two-screen theatre in 1988 and closed in 2009. Ralph and Jamie Hickox, who have done an exceptionally nice job of restoring and keeping viable the historic Jesup Drive-In, have recently purchased the Strand and are presently restoring it. The Strand is one of the few unaltered historic commercial structures still standing in Jesup and it’s preservation will be great.

strand theatre o quinn building jesup ga photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2016

11 Comments

Filed under --WAYNE COUNTY GA--, Jesup GA

Historic Commercial Architecture, Blakely

blakely ga court square historic storefronts photograph copiyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2010

Blakely has done a nice job of preserving and maintaining the historic storefronts surrounding the courthouse. Two of the highlights are seen at right. The Blakely Theatre (1936) has been restored for use as a performing arts space. Unlike most small-town theatres, which were built in the Art Deco style, the Blakely was built with Colonial Revival features. The Alexander Building (1904) is an unusually well-preserved turn-of-the-century commercial block which has recently been restored.

Blakely Court Square Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

2 Comments

Filed under --EARLY COUNTY GA--, Blakely GA

Opera House, 1907, Hawkinsville

historic hawkinsville ga opera house photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2016

Noted Macon architect W. R. Gunn guaranteed and delivered the best acoustics available in his 1907 design for Hawkinsville’s opera house. Hosting many traveling productions and even celebrities like Oliver Hardy in its heyday, the facility’s uses changed over time. It fell into decline by the 1970s, but thanks to a group of citizens who understood its value to the city, it was saved from demolition in 1977. Today, it again serves as a theatre and auditorium and hosts first run movies, musicians and a variety cultural events.

National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --PULASKI COUNTY GA--, Hawkinsville GA

Lanier County Grammar School, 1925, Lakeland

lakeland ga schoolhouse photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2016

According to the National Register of Historic Places nomination form (1986): The Lanier County Auditorium and Grammar School is significant as an unusual and distinctive example…of eclectic early 20th century architecture. The compact, regular massing of the buildings, the use of brick, and details such as quoins, keystoned arches, and pedimented front entryways suggest traditional, institutional Georgian Revival architecture. However, these elements area handled in a free, non-traditional way that reflects a contemporary early 20th century design approach…These architectural characteristics result from the fact that the buildings were designed by Lloyd Greer (1885-1952) of nearby Valdosta, Georgia, a highly trained, versatile architect known for designing many other schools, public buildings, and private homes throughout the South Georgia and North Florida area.

The buildings are…the only remaining facilities associated with the county’s first consolidated school system. The county was created in 1920, the same  year the city and county schools began consolidation as part of a statewide movement toward consolidation. After this consolidation took effect, more school space was needed and thus these two buildings were built in 1925 to augment the existing Lanier County High School. The auditorium has served many county groups as a meeting space since it was the largest meeting space in the county. The loss by fire of the pre-existing Oaklawn Academy/Lanier County High School building in 1950 left these two structures as the only representatives of this early Lanier County educational effort.

National Register of Historic Places

 

 

 

2 Comments

Filed under --LANIER COUNTY GA--, Lakeland GA

Jesup Drive-In, Valentine’s Day

Jesup Drive In Theatre Valentines Day Date Night Crowd Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2015

Valentine’s dates were bumper to bumper at Jesup Drive-In tonight. It’s one of the few places in Georgia where you could experience a tradition like this, and it’s the oldest drive-in in the state.

4 Comments

Filed under --WAYNE COUNTY GA--, Jesup GA