Tag Archives: –THOMAS COUNTY GA–

Eclectic House, 1902, Thomasville

Fletcherville Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --THOMAS COUNTY GA--, Thomasville GA

Craftsman Bungalow, 1928, Thomasville

Fletcherville Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --THOMAS COUNTY GA--, Thomasville GA

Antebellum Cottage, 1850s, Thomasville

This circa 1853-1855 cottage has recently been renovated. The dormer is a later addition that detracts from its Greek Revival appearance.

Fletcherville Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --THOMAS COUNTY GA--, Thomasville GA

Bryan H. Wright House, 1893, Thomasville

Fletcherville Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --THOMAS COUNTY GA--, Thomasville GA

Wright House, 1854, Thomasville

This fine antebellum home was designed and built by John Wind in the Fletcherville neighborhood for Arthur P. Wright, a banker a city alderman who served as Thomasville mayor at the outset of the Civil War. It was used for early meetings of the St. Thomas Episcopal Church, as well.

The hand-carved square columns are perhaps the most significant decorative elements of the house, which is listed individually and as a contributing property to the Fletcherville Historic District in the National Register of Historic Places.

National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --THOMAS COUNTY GA--, Thomasville GA

Miller House, Circa 1858, Thomasville

This is one of three important antebellum houses in the Tockwotton neighborhood. The Georgia historical marker placed in the neighborhood reads: Thomas County was created in 1825 and Thomasville established as county seat in 1826. Early settlers from Rhode Island are credited with naming this area for the Tockwotton Indian Tribe which inhabited Rhode Island at the time of its colonization. Development began during the antebellum period and the city limits of Thomasville were expanded to include Tockwotton in 1857. In the 1880s and 1890s wealthy Thomasville residents and winter visitors from the north began building large houses along South Hansell Street and Remington Avenue. By 1910, the area had taken on its present appearance characterized by informal front yards, flower plants and tree-lined streets the create a park-like setting. By the 1970s the neighborhood had deteriorated and was threatened by commercial development. In 1971, Thomasville Landmarks, Inc, a private, non-profit preservation group led by its president Marguerite Neel Williams thwarted the redevelopment of this area. The Tockwotton-Love Place Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.

Tockwotton-Love Place Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --THOMAS COUNTY GA--, Thomasville GA

McCartney-Stephens House, 1887, Thomasville

Tockwotton-Love Place Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --THOMAS COUNTY GA--, Thomasville GA

Burbank Cottage, 1875, Thomasville

This was the winter home of Mrs. Evelyn Burbank of Wisconsin. It was originally painted barn red with blue-green shutters.

Tockwotton-Love Place Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --THOMAS COUNTY GA--, Thomasville GA

Paxton House, 1884, Thomasville

This was built as the winter home of J. W. Paxton of Wheeling, West Virginia. A fine, fully-restored example of Victorian Gothic, it’s now home to The Paxton Historic House Hotel.

Tockwotton-Love Place Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --THOMAS COUNTY GA--, Thomasville GA

Bruce-Driver House, 1885, Thomasville

Dr. W. W. Bruce built this home in 1885 and it was later inherited by his daughter, Helen Bruce. Dr. Bruce’s father, Dr. Robert Bruce, was famed for his treatment of Typhoid fever.

Tockwotton-Love Place Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --THOMAS COUNTY GA--, Thomasville GA