Tag Archives: Thomasville GA

Ansley House, 1903, Thomasville

Tockwotton-Love Place Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --THOMAS COUNTY GA--, Thomasville GA

MacIntyre House, 1908, Thomasville

Tockwotton-Love Place Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --THOMAS COUNTY GA--, Thomasville GA

James Watt House, 1893, Thomasville

This house originally featured a central tower. It was built between-1890-1893. Watt was a successful hardware merchant and is thought to have opened the first chain of hardware stores in the state and perhaps the nation.

‘Tockwotton-Love Place Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --THOMAS COUNTY GA--, Thomasville GA

David Harrell House, 1853, Thomasville

This house was originally one story and faced Remington Avenue.  When the front lot of the property was sold it was reoriented to face Hansell Street and a second floor and columns added.  The original entrance is shown above.

Tockwotton-Love Place Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --THOMAS COUNTY GA--, Thomasville GA

McCartney House, 1886, Thomasville

Tockwotton-Love Place Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --THOMAS COUNTY GA--, Thomasville GA

Augustin Hansell House, 1853, Thomasville

This is the oldest house in the neighborhood and was designed by the noted architect/builder John Wind for Judge Augustin Hansell. Hansell Street was named for Judge Hansell.

Tockwotton-Love Place Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

2 Comments

Filed under --THOMAS COUNTY GA--, Thomasville GA

Balfour House, Circa 1900, Thomasville

Though it’s among Thomasville’s oldest neighborhoods, the Tockwotton district is characterized by various turn-of-the-century revivals. This was the home of R. C. Balfour, who operated a popular downtown saloon before Prohibition, which came early to Thomasville, in 1899. Balfour diversified and created Georgia Crate & Basket, which is still in business today. His sons created the Balfour Lumber Company and all of the boards used in the construction of the house were hand picked.

Tockwotton-Love Place Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --THOMAS COUNTY GA--, Thomasville GA

Cobb House, Circa 1890, Thomasville

Tockwotton-Love Place Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --THOMAS COUNTY GA--, Thomasville GA

All Saints’ Episcopal Church, 1881, Thomasville

Established in 1980 on All Saints’ Day, this church initially met in the chapel of Thomas County Community College (now Thomas University). For a permanent home, the congregation acquired an abandoned Catholic church from Thomasville Landmarks. It was moved to this site on South Hansell Street in 1981 and soon thereafter restored. The first service was held here in 1982.

Jacqueline Kennedy attended services in this church at its original location on Jefferson Street while retreating in Thomasville after President Kennedy’s assassination.

Tockwotton-Love Place Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --THOMAS COUNTY GA--, Thomasville GA

Gable Front House, Circa 1850, Thomasville

Records indicate this house was built circa 1850. At some point, likely in the early 20th century, it took on an eclectic appearance.

Dawson Street Residential Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --THOMAS COUNTY GA--, Thomasville GA